masters license

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing masters license

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 23 years ago by Avatar photoGuest.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

hello i was wondering ive been a journey man plumber for nine yrs now and want to become a master plumber . do i have to be sponcered by a master plumber to take my masters test ? ive done some comercial work but mostly new homes residential work . how do i go about becoming a master plumber basically? ive asked my employer many times hes reluctant to give me any advice. thank you.

Participant

Do you want to open your own business? If not then there is no reason to take the master’s test. If you do, then contact your licensing bureau for the requirements in your area.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mitch zerance:
            hello i was wondering ive been a journey man plumber for nine yrs now and want to become a master plumber . do i have to be sponcered by a master plumber to take my masters test ? ive done some comercial work but mostly new homes residential work . how do i go about becoming a master plumber basically? ive asked my employer many times hes reluctant to give me any advice. thank you.

Becoming a master plumber is the smart thing to do even if you do not open your own business.

For example NYC offered me over 12 years ago $62,000 to start working a 35 hour week in charge of a plumbing department for housing authority.

They knew I retired at 40, Only because I had a Masters license did they offer me that much.

The City ADA’s make about 16 G to start Nurses with Masters started at $14,000 Cops $24,000

The gentleman who I am paying $55+ per hour has his own master’s license but doesn’t want his own business as why should he when he can make $1,900 per week with no head aches and anything over 40 hours is double time

He runs the company when I feel like taking off.

Contact your building department and plumbing industry board.

I feel if your going to dabble in a field try to learn as much as you can in it and have FUN that is the key when it stops being fun get out and try something else.

The first master plumbers license I took and passed was tough the others that followed were a joke.

This past Thursday I met architect who is licensed in 21 states.

We talked about the inner satisfaction you feel knowing you did pass a legitimate Masters test which has a 51/2 hour practical and a 4 HR written test.

This is exactly why a lot of folks go into “heating” as they know they cannot pass any practical or written exams.

I would love to test some of the heating guys in my upstate area and have them explain the testing of a whetstone bridge.

Having these “heating folks” do a series parallel wiring circuit and actually having these heating & plummming folks do a heat loss and explain the proper delta and FPS of various systems.

Thankfully the government knows these unemployables would be on welfare if they didn’t have a heating company to lie behind

By passing a real plumbers exam you are one of the elite like a doctor who never passed a test would not go very far in his profession.

Neither do these fraudulent folks who never took a PRACTICAL test let alone any type of written exams.

Hey Guy, don’t let anyone talk you out of it. Go for it … go as far and learn as much as you can.

What separates a wanna be with 25 years playing in mud and a professional is the license. The licensed guy has OPTIONS

This field can be a lot of fun and very, very profitable.

Even having folks working for you is a blast like when I went fishing on my boat every Thursday during the summer ( week ends were for family time) knowing my guys were making me money as I fished.

As a Master I have the choice to do the work or sit back for a few weeks and play boss or just keep out of the way and let the business run itself and come in once a week to collect my pay. OPTIONS

The feeling of being independent is amazing.

Picture yourself as a LMP waking up on a Monday and saying screw it I aint going in let the foreman handle it and then rolling over and going back to sleep Or going out and spending a thousand on a shot gun to go trap and skeet shooting.

Get the License you have everything to gain and nothing to lose having it

It is like having a get out of jail free card.

How about this for an incentive. Imagine paying a average skilled worker only $30 per HR and billing out $90 plus mark up of 75% on materials? A lot of folks charge $125 per hour Plus but lets figure cheap

Think about sending out a guy to snake out a main sewer for $225 and he gets $30 for the hour and you get the rest and he does only 5 a day.

My drain cleaner brings in on an average over $1,200 per DAY..

EVEN if I threw him a bone of $400 per day IM still way ahead paying him 2G per week and making 4 G over him.

Figure it out yourself Being a mule doesnt pay big money

Look at the franchise guys not only can the average stumble bum working for them make $75,000 per year with comissions etc.

BUT the owner of the sewer franchise still can afford to give a kick back to the home office as much as 40% of his gross and plenty of folks still get into the franchise drain cleaning and plummmin business.

Any licensed Master plumber who cannot gross $250,000 by himself and a helper to clean up and carry the tools had better raise his/her prices unless of course they have a stumble bums license which anyone can pass.

When more and more home centers open up and folks learn to do most of the work themselves the legitimate plumbers will make a fortune because the bums will be put out of business by the home owners who are looking for Quality not just price

Not everyone wants to dig a trench for the professional installer of plumbing systems.

Participant

Just go to this web site and click on your state. Hope this will help you.

Participant

Sorry forget to give you the web address it is http://www.contractors-license.org

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This