Corroded Washing Machine Hose

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Corroded Washing Machine Hose

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I want to replace my washing machine hose, but the cold water connection is rusted/corroded. I’ve tried wd40 and heat but cannot budge it. What can i do?

Participant

Remove the whole valve and replace it. Use the old compression nut if you can. You want to be able to turn this valve off in case of an emergency.

Respectfully David Walling

Participant

I never saw a compression NUT on a hose bibb connection. I am sure some codes that the inspectors look the other way may have it.

I would take a hack saw blade and slowly and gently cut the washing machine connection nut carefully (lenth wise)CAREFUL not to cut into the bibb threads.

Then using a very sharp chisel Or an old screw driver gently split open threads nuts that you just scored with the hack saw blade.

this Works 96.8% of the time.

A lot of low life installers actually solder the bibb valve into place rather then spending the extra . 45 CENTS for a female copper adapter and thus making valve changing much easier.

There are also those who have no clue as to the various types of temper of copper tubing.

For example.

Temper describes the hardness of the tubing and in the trades we call drawn temper as hard although drawn can be furnished in a “bending” temper.

Annealed tubing is referred to as soft tubing and THIS is the type that should be used with compression adapters for the folks who do not know the proper job in making connections.

The stumble bums who resort to compression type valves never take into consideration the vibration a washing machine causes with the solenoid valves opening and closing.

Also you may not even have a copper piping system but a brass or galvanized connection to a regular hose bibb (Also called a hose cock).

Try using the fine tooth hack saw blade 1st THEN if you should run into a problem THEN you can always call a local Licensed plumber.

Participant

I have to say that i’m really confused by Sylvans lame answer to this problem.Hacksawing a hose off and using a sharp chisel or a old screw driver,WOW!!!What a pro.We are talking about a $4.00 valve here.Even a single handle valve may cost you as much as $20.00.So the “great one” that gets mad when anyone talks about price,tells someone to use a sharp chisel or a old screwdriver to make a plumbing repair.I get these calls often and I always replace the valve because it’s the correct thing to do.I replace both valves or I would convert seperate hot and cold valves to a single handle valve.This is good for the customer since it helps to encourage them to shut off the valve when not in use.Hose failures are very common.This is a simple job that can be done in less than an hour.I guess if you already have a sharp chisel or an old screwdriver you can save yourself some money.If you don’t have these item’s maybe Sylvan is in your area.I would be glad to help you if you wan’t to do the job correctly.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Wallingford Plm+Htg:
                I have to say that i’m really confused by Sylvans lame answer to this problem.Hacksawing a hose off and using a sharp chisel or a old screw driver,WOW!!!What a pro.< SNIP Hey GB boy

Where did I say “HOSE” Learn to read kid it is amazing what you may learn if you LEARN to understand what your reading.

YOU really are not cut out to be a craftman take my advice you should be unemployeed collecting welfare ok leave plummmmin to folks who KNOW how to follow directions

See below silly boy

“Take a hack saw blade and slowly and gently cut the washing machine connection nut carefully (lenth wise)CAREFUL not to cut into the bibb threads.Then using a very sharp chisel Or an old screw driver gently split open threads nuts that you just scored with the hack saw blade.

silly boy reading codes must be impossible for you

Here we go SNIP below

We are talking about a $4.00 valve here.Even a single handle valve may cost you as much as $20.00.So the “great one” that gets mad when anyone talks about price,tells someone to use a sharp chisel or a old screwdriver to make a plumbing repair.

Too bad you never worked on older piping where we HAVE to save old threads to make a connection.

Working on old steam piping we dont have the LUXURY of not knowing how to use a chisel to cut out threads.

Amazing what YOU would do on a 47 story building stand pipe system where the hose threads had to be removed as someone damaged the hose.

DUH drain the entire systemn down including the house tank huh KID?

GB speaks again below

I get these calls often and I always replace the valve because it’s the correct thing to do.

Here it goes self proclaimed
                INCOMPETENCE by the Wallingford Plm+Htg:company of the non
                code complianceville state

Wallingford Plm+ did you know
                IN AMERICA USA we have codes requiring BACK FLOW PREVENTORS

No where did you state your placing it, I didnt notice it in YOUR professional posting?? BELOW

I replace both valves or I would convert seperate hot and cold valves to a single handle valve.This is good for the customer since it helps to encourage them to shut off the valve when not in use.
                if you had a pimple on your butt it would be called a brain tumor

Where are the shock Absorbers or air chambers?

You do know a Solenoid valve is classified as a fast closing device and hyraulic shock preventors are in order DUH WAll you SURE you really do “plummmmin”

You must have a HEATIN LIC not plumbing huh?

Hose failures are very common.This is a simple job that can be done in less than an hour.
                Sure it would take YOU less then 15 minutes considering you never ever said to make sure the Potable water supply was protected

Including looking for an Air Gap fitting in the washing machine BUT hey your DA professional on here.

The question was DOES he have to replace the valves, AND here you come along installing an ILLIGAL hook up

Hey KID when you change a part your suposed to bring it up to code NOT install a possible cross connection.

DUH you SURE you ever read a code book?

I guess if you already have a sharp chisel or an old screwdriver you can save yourself some money.
                SNIP

Not money Lad BUT sight unseen I figure the last installer had your brain power and soldered a hose bib directly onto a 5/8 copper tubing end.

Rather then having a home owner shut off the main draining down the system (if the valves hold) then unsoldering a valve WHY not TRY to keep it simple for the home owner.

Here you come along “Wallingford Plm+Htg:” installing a NEW valve(s) without even thinking of providing this person ANY type of protection not even a stinking check valve to prevent hot and cold water from mixing.

Folks like Wallingford Plm+Htg: is one of the REASONS more and more folks SHOULD try to do their own plumbing and heating IMHO.

Billy Butt Cracks are alive and well it would appear.

Here is a perfect exmple of a guy thinking he knows a trade instead of removing a defective hose connection HE decides to cross connect a hot and cold line PLUS never ever thinking of evn checking for a possible air space on the water supply in the washing machine to prevent the dirty washing machine water entering the drinking water system BUT he did do this job in under an hour and THAT IS WHAT REALLY COUNTS.

Man this country needs to send ALL its plumbing over seas like all the other smart corporations did.

This kids lack of mentality is amazing

If you don’t have these item’s maybe Sylvan is in your area.I would be glad to help you if you wan’t to do the job correctly.

Correctly as long a NO CODES are being followed

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by leakywasher:
                  I want to replace my washing machine hose, but the cold water connection is rusted/corroded. I’ve tried wd40 and heat but cannot budge it. What can i do?

What is so funny about this posting is EVERYONE ASSUMED the hose was frozen on the Valve and not on the washing machine connection.

All you did was ask for an option not ask to have your potable water
                  compromised.

More then ever DEMAND to find out what REAL schooling your plumber has gone through. This OJT isnt hitting it

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This