Hot water heating question re. aquastat

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Hot water heating question re. aquastat

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I have a converted boiler (was coal now natural gas) on a gravity upfeed system (2 story home). I set the aquastat temperature back to 130 deg F from 180 deg F in order to lower heating bills and minimize dramatic fluctuations in room temperature. It has worked well for both reasons. My question: Is there any long term downside to running this system at this lower temperature? Most of my neighbors are running theirs at 180 deg. F. Thanks in advance. Joe

Participant

If the system has been providing heat satisfactoriy at a setting of 130F, there is no downside. It is the temperature difference between the water leaving the boiler and the water returning to the boiler that drives the water through the system. If you are heating the water to 130F, you have about 1/2 the force available to move the water, but if you are getting all the heat you need, there is no problem.

In fact, by lowering the water temperature, you have increased the ability of the boiler heat exchanger to absorb heat and cut the heat lost from pipes located where you do not heat – in half and lowered your fuel bill.

Participant

I am Very curious what is the DELTA of your supply and return temperature?

Participant

Thanks for the response. 132 deg F outlet and 104 – 105 deg F return temp. The changes that I made have increased the number of heating cycles for the boiler but this has created a more constant temperature in the living area. Not sure yet regarding energy usage. Being a manufacturing engineer and new to hot water heating systems, I would appreciate any professional input. Thanks, Joe

Participant

There are free hot water heating design lessons at http://www.hydronic.net

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by jfedorka:
                  Thanks for the response. 132 deg F outlet and 104 – 105 deg F return temp. The changes that I made have increased the number of heating cycles for the boiler but this has created a more constant temperature in the living area. Not sure yet regarding energy usage. Being a manufacturing engineer and new to hot water heating systems, I would appreciate any professional input. Thanks, Joe

Joe your more then welcome to join
                  The
                  Politically incorrect plumbers discussion group please e mail me.

You seem to have good handle on heating.

I think more folks should seriously think about learning to do it themselves as Lord knows a lot of folks who cant make it as “plumbers” dabble in heating and folks who live in Rural areas where the plumbing code is very lax are far better off doing most of their own work.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This