Pedestal basin plumbing

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Pedestal basin plumbing

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hi
        I am building a new home and looking to put a pedestal basin in.
        I assumed that the piping for water and drainage could be concealed within the column of the pedestal but I think that a ‘U’ trap must be put in, which means the piping may be visible from the sid (even just a little).

Can anyone clarify that for me ?,
        is there a preferred and easier method regrading the installation of these. What is the normal practice for installing pedestals?.

Thanks
        Dain

Participant

The trap will be visible from the side and there is no room inside the pedestal for the water lines so they will be visible from all angles.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by fourth year:
            The trap will be visible from the side and there is no room inside the pedestal for the water lines so they will be visible from all angles.

My customers would expect me to install the pipe lines within the pedestal, possibly the waste as well. None of these pipes would be visible from the side.

Participant

DP,I guess you will be installing a vanity then.I have never seen a pedestal sink that conceals all the piping.

Participant

In that case you would have to bring the pipes up from the floor and have never had to deal with a solid pedestal that only has the trap recess. In addition, tightening the trap is tight enough without trying to work around water pipes in the recess. and to not have the waste visible would require an illegal “S” trap and no pedestal has room for one of those AND the water piping. Are you sure you have ever installed a true pedestal lavatory?

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by fourth year:
                  In that case you would have to bring the pipes up from the floor and have never had to deal with a solid pedestal that only has the trap recess. In addition, tightening the trap is tight enough without trying to work around water pipes in the recess. and to not have the waste visible would require an illegal “S” trap and no pedestal has room for one of those AND the water piping. Are you sure you have ever installed a true pedestal lavatory?

In Britain a trap is available where the basin waste outlet fits to the top and waste pipe fits the opposite end. If you source basin by Armitage Shanks or Ideal Standard, the practice I wrote about is possible. Yes I have installed many basins where the three pipes are enclosed by the pedestal

Participant

It must have a large pedestal and that trap would never be allowed in the U.S. since it would be an illegal “S” trap. It also sounds like it has internal baffles to create the trap which is another reason it would not be permitted.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This