Keymaster

what does fips stand for?

Participant

Female Iron Pipe Size

Like when ordering a copper Female fitting C FIPS

Then of course you have MIPS = Male Iron Pipe Size

The standard threads are the Briggs standard

BUT American
          plumbers are known for not reading and thus being lazy call the threads NPT National Pipe Threads

Of course there are NFT (National fine threads) and Metric and left handed NPT and ASAE threads.

The API has their own thread taper BUT acordingly all these threads when adapted to male or Female will give you some indication as to what it adapts to.

Copper Compression T.P copper IPS T.P T.P T.P FIPS

T.P MIPS

Copper type K,L,M, ACR, DWV Mips or FIPS or CI Or C C.

Of course you can go from Plastic to IPS or FIPS

Hope this helps IF you need more detail please E mail me and ILL be happy to explain it.

Sylvan

Participant

Sylvan: You forgot A.W.W.A and
            Mueller Thread as well as British
            Thread and Swedish Thread. In
            general all threads on fittings are
            of either the male of female persuasion. Oops, Hose thread too.

Participant

Rod, if I did mention American Water Works Association (AWWA) Then we would have to use the AGA threads and GAMA and ASTM specifications for drainage and electric non taper threads as per UL plus SAE threads plus not to mention Union Carbide and other threads as relating to bottled gases and fuels like argon and nitrogen and oxygen and propane and acetylene plus the AWS (American Welding Society) likes to get involved AND of course the NFPA standards for hose connections as the Siamese and the local fire codes like NYC has their own APPROVED fire threaded connections.
              that is why I figured this gentleman would be better off E mailing me so I could go into slightly more detail.

Remember the old 65 R that we were able to make a crooked thread to increase pitch when needed.

How about the Tucker Coupling adapter or the Famous Kennedy TY and the numerous left and right GAS COCKS that were popular before the non skilled used flexy connections.

Think about all the manufacturers offering these flare type of connections with non conforming threads from one manufacturer.

Does drainage threaded tubing also come under the NFT or the NPT or under the ASSE standards?

Rod we need to research this as I was in a home center talking to a 4th year apprentice and was told “One thread fits all like the lead fits all plug”

Ever notice that the Cast Brass plug on the house trap comes in bastard sizes? What thread are these and who dictates the thread depth and “pitch” in this case?

And here I was trying to keep it so simple and now you have me confused with facts WHERE IS BUD when we need him?

Have a great week end Rod and thank you for pointing out the error of my ways. Always a please learning from the best

Participant

Only Sylvan could take a simple question about FIP, turn it into a treatise and the claim to be “making it simple”. LOL And it that whole magilla was there anything about the NSHT and other fire hose threads, plus the variety of bottled gas connections.

Participant

Just for the record,Fourth Year,it,s called @#%%%”of the mouth.
                  [Edited by Lorenzo on 27 February 2001]

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This