tub overflow leaks, doesnt drain fast enough

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives tub overflow leaks, doesnt drain fast enough

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

My tub overflow drain has sprung a leak. The overflow drain is one of those common ones with a lever on the faceplate that goes up and down to open or close the main drain on the tub floor, and has a small slit at the bottom of the faceplate to drain overflow in case someone leaves the water on too long.Ive already taken the faceplate off and replaced the gasket. Now, when the water gets up to the overflow slit or even just above the slit, there is no leak. But, if I temporarily plug the slit and let the water get deeper so that nearly the entire faceplate is covered the leak occurs again. Ive tried multiple types of gaskets, and they all only leak when the water significantly covers the faceplate. Whether partially of totally covered with water I expect the faceplate to not leak at all. Why is this happening? Ive sanded the back of the tub a bit to make sure all of the old gasket material is removed, so as to get a good mating.So, you say, if it only leaks when you plug the overflow slit, dont plug the slit. Lets just say that with kids around some things cant be guaranteed. Its fun to make the water a few inches deeper. Theres another problem anyway: With the water on at full blast the overflow cant drain as fast as the water comes in. This sort of renders the overflow somewhat useless. Why is this happening? Its not that my pipes are clogged. The normal drain at the bottom of the tub seems to easily remove water coming in at full blast. Are there alternate faceplates that have bigger overflow holes?Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for your help.Scott Heydinger Lexington, KY

Participant

: My tub overflow drain has sprung a leak. The overflow drain is one of those common ones with a lever on the faceplate that goes up and down to open or close the main drain on the tub floor, and has a small slit at the bottom of the faceplate to drain overflow in case someone leaves the water on too long.: Ive already taken the faceplate off and replaced the gasket. Now, when the water gets up to the overflow slit or even just above the slit, there is no leak. But, if I temporarily plug the slit and let the water get deeper so that nearly the entire faceplate is covered the leak occurs again. Ive tried multiple types of gaskets, and they all only leak when the water significantly covers the faceplate. Whether partially of totally covered with water I expect the faceplate to not leak at all. Why is this happening? Ive sanded the back of the tub a bit to make sure all of the old gasket material is removed, so as to get a good mating.: So, you say, if it only leaks when you plug the overflow slit, dont plug the slit. Lets just say that with kids around some things cant be guaranteed. Its fun to make the water a few inches deeper. Theres another problem anyway: With the water on at full blast the overflow cant drain as fast as the water comes in. This sort of renders the overflow somewhat useless. Why is this happening? Its not that my pipes are clogged. The normal drain at the bottom of the tub seems to easily remove water coming in at full blast. Are there alternate faceplates that have bigger overflow holes?: Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for your help.: Scott Heydinger : Lexington, KYI ran into similar problems several times. Sometimes during installation, the overflow keeper bracket and screws are not installed for whatever reason and that leaves two open holes in the overflow head. When the water gets up to a certain level, they leak like crazy. Several times I have found pinholes in the brass overflow head that allowed leakage.If you have access to the back of the tub you should find the leak easily by overfilling the tub. If it is indeed the overflow gasket,try using some silicone sealant.Take the faceplate screws out and remove the trip lever. Push the overflow back a little and apply silicon all around the mating surface and then reassemble.Maybe this will help!

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This