Plumbing in the desert

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Plumbing in the desert

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hi Folks,

Currently writing you from a little ol’ air force base in the desert. Our showers over here change from scalding hot to ice cold several times during the course of a shower. Rumors have it that the route of the water is the culprit (Hot comes from one direction, and cold comes from another). I think the problem is pressure related. Bathrooms are in trailers with 8 shower stalls, 8 sinks, and 8 latrines. Probably 10 trailers on base. Water comes from bladders laying out on the ground. I don’t think there is much in the ways of pressure and it looks like it is all directly networked with PCP.

I am interested in hearing any opinions you folks might have to help or situation here. I think we need help adjusting pipe sizes, or engineer some kind of holding areas to help regulate pressure, but I am not a plumber…just a computer weenie.

Thank you folks for your help.
        Jim in Kuwait

Participant

Jim it sounds like your problem could be fairly complex. There are pressure balancing shower valves that are designed to remedy this type of situation, but I don’t know if they would work properly with the mess you have there. If the Air Force had a contrator set up the trailers, maybe you could go through your local DCAS reprensentative for assistance. If your military people set up the trailers your probably going to be hard pressed to find anyone that can remedy this problem.

Participant

Next time call the NAVY and have a ship fitter do this installation JUST like the Navy has the BEST PILOTS on earth.

You see anyone can be trained to fly a jet BUT being able to land it on a moving platform (air craft Carrier) AT NIGHT wuth no lights requires skill using this reasoning what makes you think the fly boys know anything about plumbing?

OK with that said you have a few options.

1- Have all the water go into a holding pressurized tank and from there have it pumped through a hot water source (Tank) and also have a direct pipe from this pressure booster be used for domestic cold water

2- After you boost the pressure they can add the CODE REQUIRED Pressure/temperature balancing valves.

3- Knowing the USAF Lack of mentality they may opt for another cheap way of installing piping by using TWO COMMERCIAL SIZE larger cold water line for domestic C/W and the smaller piping for hot water.

By doing it the CHEAP Air Force way they would have the volume in the C/W line to prevent the sudden drop as normally occurs with lousy designed Air Forece thinking and allowing the poor folks to get scalded.

Next time think NAVY as we have clean bodies and (dirty minds) BUT we sure do know our plumbing/heating systems.

For the perfect Job ask a SEA BEE. Good luck being in the Air Force your going to need all the help you can get.

Sylvan USN Trained to do it RIGHT CAN DO Have a great week end.
            65-68

Participant

Hello to the AF computer weenie, as an ex Air Force civil engineer (Plumber) I have some experience in field shower operations. The problem is that alot of time there is no potable water source so the water is probably comming from a portable reverse osmosis or other treatment system from there the water is pumped into large bladders. From there it is pumped through a system of pipes and as Sylvan said the cold water is usually piping in larger pipes and the hot in smaller pipes. The real problem with these setups is simply the mission of CES in the field. There main job is not comfort but hygene. every attemp is made to try to give hot and cold running water but unlike the navy the air force personel have many jobs in the field and the plumbers are also truck drivers runway repairmen etc… Oh yes before I forget Sylvan the Navy does not have the best Pilots (maybe the best plumbers but not the best pilots)An Air Force pilot can also land on a moving postage stamp in the middle of the ocean in pitch black they are just smart enough not to, lol just kidding there I have lots of friends in the Navy and almost joined myself but I just could not get used to being called SEAMAN, lol. Anyway getting back on subject, to my friend inthe dessert I have to say just hang on you will be back home soon but until then make friends with a CES Plumber and they will show you which shower tent is the best and what is the best shower time (I spent a wonderfull winter in a tent in Korea in 88 and never once took a cold shower)
              John Sibio
              EX Air Force SGT

Participant

John it is ALWAYS A pleasure hearing from you and some of my best friends almost joined the air force.

Actually my Brother in law the doctor was in the air force when I was in the Navy.

I also resented being called seaman so I went for snipe ( boiler/welding/shipfitting etc.)

Isn’t it amazing though how the last STINKING administration had the technology to put a guy in space BUT cannot give a computer GEEK in the pansy Air force hot water for a stinking shower.

This is the pits, the total of lack of respect the democraps have shown to military personal.

These Democratic bums should start giving “ENTITLEMENTS” to the folks who serve this country not the slime looking to get free stuff.

When you find the average military family receiving food stamps WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

Even as a 17 year old in the Navy I knew something was wrong with the other services lke living in a tent NO WAY drinking out of a canteen NOT Me God Made Glass for a reason.

At least us Navy folks had hot water GREAT food fantastic training and got to travel to fantastic places.

If I were that computer guy I would transfer to a real service and not live in stone age conditions.

Sylvan Life Member DAV

Hey john please say HEY on my PIPDL list your more then welcome even as a SGT in the “A” word

Participant

Hello Jim,
                  I got your message from Grohe America.In Kuwait you can have a thermostatic shower mixer,similar to a pressure balancing valve.Grohe’s agent there can help you.Please call:M/S Abu Ghaith at 2423857 or 2423912.

Good Luck

Renos
                  Hi Folks,

Currently writing you from a little ol’ air force base in the desert. Our showers over here change from scalding hot to ice cold several times during the course of a shower. Rumors have it that the route of the water is the culprit (Hot comes from one direction, and cold comes from another). I think the problem is pressure related. Bathrooms are in trailers with 8 shower stalls, 8 sinks, and 8 latrines. Probably 10 trailers on base. Water comes from bladders laying out on the ground. I don’t think there is much in the ways of pressure and it looks like it is all directly networked with PCP.

I am interested in hearing any opinions you folks might have to help or situation here. I think we need help adjusting pipe sizes, or engineer some kind of holding areas to help regulate pressure, but I am not a plumber…just a computer weenie.

Thank you folks for your help.
                  Jim in Kuwait

[/QUOTE]

Participant

Hi Guys,

Enjoyed the reading and passed this along to our CE guy. I am sure the quest for hardened facilities (no rolling, sweaty all male bunks here) a contractor will be brought in to do the work correctly. Amen on spending the right amount of $$$ to do it right the first time. Sleep easy – the Rock is watching Sadam and keeping Iraq on the defense!

Jim in Kuwait

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This