Gate Valve Repair

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Gate Valve Repair

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • #274650
      Avatar photoMasterPlumbers

        I have a two gate valves that controls the water to my washing machine(One hot and one cold). They both leak around the handle. Is it possible to repair them without soldering on a new valve ? I have heard about replacing the parts inside (washer, etc.) but I can’t seem to find the parts I need. Any help ?

      • #290098
        Avatar photoSylvanLMP

          Gate Valves DO NOT have a washer THEY have a disc called a GATE.
          Solid and wedge and split BUT no washer.

          The leak near the top by the handle sounds like the packing gland (NUT) and most of the times just tightening them slightly will stop the leak.

          Other wise call a Licensed Master plumber and have him/her remove the handle screw/nut then they will back off the nut/gland CAREFULLY and remove the dangerous ASBESTOS/Graphite packing and repack this gland/nut with Code approved Teflon packing in 1/8 dia pieces installed 180 degrees apart to prevent seepage and also not pack it too tight to put undo stress on the valve stem which will cause premature failure.

          Have a great one.

      Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

      Pin It on Pinterest

      Share This