Proper soldering procedure

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Proper soldering procedure

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I am attempting to install a new shower valve with screwdriver stops. This is a replacement and is located behing a gelcoat stall. Room to manuever is very tight. The water is turned off & drained, joints are clean, yet I am having considerable trouble getting the solder to take hold. I am not sure how long the torch needs to heat the heavier valve body vs. the copper tube. I am also worried about melting the seats in the stop valves. Please help, I have been working on this for a day now. THANKS

For soft soldering, both the pipe and inside of the fitting must be so clean that they are shiney. If not so, reclean them. Both must have a thin coat of flux on them.Then the pipe and fitting should be heated in such a way as to make them both arrive at the proper soldering temperature at the same time. This usually just means that you heat only the thickest part (the fitting and not the pipe). Hold the flame in one place or move it slightly. The flux will often change color when soldering temperature is approached. Feed the solder in, in one or two places. Use about 1/2 inch of wire solder for 1/2 inch pipe. If the seats can melt, maybe you should remove them. Ask more questions if necessary.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This