Help!!! My water in the shower goes cold in 5 minutes!!

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Help!!! My water in the shower goes cold in 5 minutes!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Avatar photoMichael & Adam Villani

I just bought a condo and my water heater is only a year old. I have the setting on hot and it still goes cold after 5-8 minutes. Should I call a plumber? Please let me know.
        Thanks,
        Christine

Participant

It depends on two things. How big the hot water heater is, and do you have a standard flow or low flow showerhead.

A hotwater heater only delivers about 70% of its capacity as hot water. So if you have a 30 gallon heater, you get 21 gallons of hot water. If its 40 gallons, you get 28 hot.

A standard flow showerhead consumes about 2.5 to 3.5 gallons per minute, so you should get a 6 to 8 and a half minute shower for a 30 gallon heater. For 40 gallons, it is 8 to 11 minutes.

Low flow shower heads consume 1.2 to 2.0 gpm, so consume about half as much hot water, i.e. twice as long of a shower.

Participant

I have a 40 gallon Natural gas US Craftsman. I was looking at the serial number and it begins with 95 so I’m thinking it’s 5 years old, not 1 or 2 like I was led to believe. I was reading about the dip tub settlement, do you think it could be a problem with the dip tube? The low flow shower head…do I just go buy one and replace the current shower head?
            Thanks for your advice!

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This