Steam Radiators

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Steam Radiators

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

I have a steam radiator system. My problem is that my pipes that are running from the furnace to the radiators are very hot, however my radiators are not getting hot and the ones that are only half of them are heating up. I have replaced the steam valves, does this take a care of the problem or could there be another way to release the air, or may there be another problem to look for?

Participant

If the rooms are warm and there is no problem about warmth, then the thermostat is shutting off the burner before not all the radiation can become hot and you don’t need them to become completely hot.

If this is a heating problem where the burner runs all the time and the radiators never become hot, there is a problem relating to an inadequate input at the boiler.

Participant

If only the bottom half of the radiators are getting hot, you need to bleed the radiators. See previous thread for other problems that can keep radiators cool ( steam traps – banging pipes or some such title)

Good Luck,

Rick

Participant

To properly balance out a steam system the air valves are critical and not just a hit and miss application.

To properly install these valves use the smallest orifice radiator closest to the boiler
              then increase the size as you get further away.

By doing this your equalizing the amount of air leaving the system so all the rads heat about the same time.

You should also check your main vents as for operation as you want the air out of the mains as fast as possible and DO NOT use cheap valves Try Hoffman of Equal
              http://www.masterplumbers.com/plumbing/plumbviews/1999/steam_heating.html : PlumbViews >> MasterPlumbers.com – The Largest Plumbing Resource on the Internet

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This