Smelly hot water heater

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Smelly hot water heater

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

My hot water heater has a bad odor coming from it. The water doesnt smell bad. Any odeas where this smell could be coming from?

Participant

I never heard of this problem before. If its a gas heater, I might check to make sure the burner is working normally. It could be burning poorly and causing a smell. Or the flue could be clogged. If an electric heater, I would smell around the electrical connections to see if one of them is burning from a poor connection. If this doesnt help, repost your question and say what it smells like and when. Rotten egg smell from the water is commom.

Participant

: I never heard of this problem before. : If its a gas heater, I might check to make sure the burner is working normally. It could be burning poorly and causing a smell. Or the flue could be clogged. : If an electric heater, I would smell around the electrical connections to see if one of them is burning from a poor connection. : If this doesnt help, repost your question and say what it smells like and when. : Rotten egg smell from the water is commom.Rotten egg smell is indicative of hydrogen sulfide present in the hot water from the reduction of naturally occurring sulfates in the water source. I suspect anode failure in the water heater is causing this phenomenon. If so, replacement of the anode is indicated. It can just be removed without replaceemnt, but this will decrease the life of the heater.

Participant

Randy, If there is a floor drain, or any infrequently used drain, in the area of the water heater…Pour some water into it, the trap might have dried out (allowing sewer gas into the room).

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This