WATER LEAKING OUT OF LEACHING FIELD

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives WATER LEAKING OUT OF LEACHING FIELD

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

RECENTLY ONE OF MY KIDS FORGOT TO JIGGLE THE HANDLE ON OUR TOILET AND IT RAN ALL DAY. WHEN WE RETURNED HOME THERE WAS WATER IN THE FRONT YARD AND AND ODOR. IS THIS A NORM. WHEN WATER CONSISTANTLY RUNS.THANKS JACKIE

Participant

: RECENTLY ONE OF MY KIDS FORGOT TO JIGGLE THE HANDLE ON OUR TOILET AND IT RAN ALL DAY. WHEN WE RETURNED HOME THERE WAS WATER IN THE FRONT YARD AND AND ODOR. IS THIS A NORM. WHEN WATER CONSISTANTLY RUNS. no jackie that would be abnormal what happens is your septic tank filled all the way up and then filled your drainfield , it sounds like you need a new dranfield system ,but then if this is the only time it has ever done this ,i wouldnt worry to much.: THANKS : JACKIE

Participant

: RECENTLY ONE OF MY KIDS FORGOT TO JIGGLE THE HANDLE ON OUR TOILET AND IT RAN ALL DAY. WHEN WE RETURNED HOME THERE WAS WATER IN THE FRONT YARD AND AND ODOR. IS THIS A NORM. WHEN WATER CONSISTANTLY RUNS.: THANKS : JACKIEJackie, what you have experienced is a Preview Of Coming Events. First of all, regarding the response from Dave, the septic tank is always full of sewage. The level of the sewage in the tank is controlled by the outlet elevation. There is a potential for indigestible solids build-up in the septic tank and that is the reason that the sludge must be removed occasionally. I recommend that you install a septic tank effluent filter in the outlet tee of the tank. Zabel is the brand that I prefer to use in the systems that I design and build.Your leach field is performing as it was designed. Unfortunately, most typical septic tank/leach field systems are designed to fail, or at least they are designed for a very short (15 years) life span. Many leach fields will fail much sooner depending upon many variables inherent with septic system design. This is not adequate in my view.If you have but 1 leach field, it is not possible to practice alternation of flow to the fields. Your leach field is perhaps approaching its useful life. It needs a rest. I would recommend that an additional leach field be installed before you have a problem. This new leach field should be installed with a diversion valve so that when the existing leach field has had a 1 year rest, it will have been rejuvenated, and it will be ready to accept the effluent flow for 1 year. The flow should be alternated on an annual basis from now on. Be sure to install ventilation ports in both leach fields to allow atmospheric air flow down into the resting leach field. Put a solid threaded plug on the in-use field ventilation port to prevent odors in the yard, and a 4 drain grate on the resting field ventilation port to allow ventilation.Clean the filter, turn the diversion valve to alternate the flow in the fields, and exchange the grates and plugs annually. The most appropriate day of the year to attend to these maintenance chores is July 4th,SEWAGE INDEPENDENCE DAY. Celebrate your independence of the centralized sewer grid. But remember, with this independence comes responsility. You are responsible for operation and maintenance of your sewage treatment facility.Good Luck, hope this has answered your question and will give you some direction to follow. JWA

Participant

: RECENTLY ONE OF MY KIDS FORGOT TO JIGGLE THE HANDLE ON OUR TOILET AND IT RAN ALL DAY. WHEN WE RETURNED HOME THERE WAS WATER IN THE FRONT YARD AND AND ODOR. IS THIS A NORM. WHEN WATER CONSISTANTLY RUNS.: THANKS : JACKIEJackie, what you have experienced is a Preview Of Coming Events. First of all, regarding the response from Dave, the septic tank is always full of sewage. The level of the sewage in the tank is controlled by the outlet elevation. There is a potential for indigestible solids build-up in the septic tank and that is the reason that the sludge must be removed occasionally. I recommend that you install a septic tank effluent filter in the outlet tee of the tank. Zabel is the brand that I prefer to use in the systems that I design and build.Your leach field is performing as it was designed. Unfortunately, most typical septic tank/leach field systems are designed to fail, or at least they are designed for a very short (15 years) life span. Many leach fields will fail much sooner depending upon many variables inherent with septic system design. This is not adequate in my view.If you have but 1 leach field, it is not possible to practice alternation of flow to the fields. Your leach field is perhaps approaching its useful life. It needs a rest. I would recommend that an additional leach field be installed before you have a problem. This new leach field should be installed with a diversion valve so that when the existing leach field has had a 1 year rest, it will have been rejuvenated, and it will be ready to accept the effluent flow for 1 year. The flow should be alternated on an annual basis from now on. Be sure to install ventilation ports in both leach fields to allow atmospheric air flow down into the resting leach field. Put a solid threaded plug on the in-use field ventilation port to prevent odors in the yard, and a 4 drain grate on the resting field ventilation port to allow ventilation.Clean the filter, turn the diversion valve to alternate the flow in the fields, and exchange the grates and plugs annually. The most appropriate day of the year to attend to these maintenance chores is July 4th,SEWAGE INDEPENDENCE DAY. Celebrate your independence of the centralized sewer grid. But remember, with this independence comes responsility. You are responsible for operation and maintenance of your sewage treatment facility.Good Luck, hope this has answered your question and will give you some direction to follow. JWA

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This