closet flange

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives closet flange

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Bathroom remodel: floor around toliet removed. Cast iron closet bend with leaded brass flange. Flang was loose, lead joint broke. I removed old flange. Is there a replacemnt I can use that doesnt require leading to the 4 cast piece? Bend wont allow me to use the plastic type with the rubber compression fitting (too long). If I must lead a new brass one on do you have any advise. What are my options?

Participant

: Bathroom remodel: : floor around toliet removed. : Cast iron closet bend with leaded brass flange. Flang was loose, lead joint broke. I removed old flange. Is there a replacemnt I can use that doesnt require leading to the 4 cast piece? Bend wont allow me to use the plastic type with the rubber compression fitting (too long). If I must lead a new brass one on do you have any advise. What are my options?David, caulking a closet flange is not too hard to do. Get a few strands of oiled oakum, and a can of plastic lead seal. What you have to rember is the oakuum is what provides the seal & the lead just holds the oakum in place. pack the oakum into the space between the flange and pipe with a thin chisel or screwdriver and hammer lightly. Do this until the joint is filled leaving about an inch to the top of the joint. Then apply the plastic lead and fill to top. Good Luck, Scott

Participant

: : Bathroom remodel: : : floor around toliet removed. : : Cast iron closet bend with leaded brass flange. Flang was loose, lead joint broke. I removed old flange. Is there a replacemnt I can use that doesnt require leading to the 4 cast piece? Bend wont allow me to use the plastic type with the rubber compression fitting (too long). If I must lead a new brass one on do you have any advise. What are my options?: David, caulking a closet flange is not too hard to do. Get a few strands of oiled oakum, and a can of plastic lead seal. What you have to rember is the oakuum is what provides the seal & the lead just holds the oakum in place. pack the oakum into the space between the flange and pipe with a thin chisel or screwdriver and hammer lightly. Do this until the joint is filled leaving about an inch to the top of the joint. Then apply the plastic lead and fill to top. : Good Luck, : ScottMore detail: The closet bend bell-hub(?) has a short piece of 4 cast leaded into it. This short piece protrudes about 5/8 inch from the rim of the hub. The finished floor will be flush or slightly below the top of this piece. I dont see where Im going to have an inch to work with for my oakum joint.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This