House Line: D.I.Y.?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing House Line: D.I.Y.?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I just found out that I have a leak in the house line and neither my home warranty nor my utility company covers it. I’m considering doing it myself. I was given an estimate of $800-1200 and I simply can’t afford to have someone else do it. My questions: Am I insane for considering doing it myself? What proportion of the estimate would be for materials?

Participant

This generally is not a D.I.Y. unless you have a backhoe operater or plan digging entire yard about 3′-6′ with a hand shovel.Most backhoe operaters can sometimes pull the old line out with the new line tied on and drag them out together .However this is if one is lucky and the pipe doesn’t break when doing this or he will need to dig from curb to house.Also most city ordinances won’t allow just anyone to do this themselves especially when it comes to the hook up at the street.You also must call a number depening on where you live and wait generally 48 hrs.so all underground utilities can be marked out.Usually you need a permit from the city as well.Your better to let experienced person’s to do this but also call around for prices.Useally depending on length of job for pipe you have around $200 in materials,$200-$250 for a backhoe operator.Plumber to do all installations,permits which vary depending on your city.In my area I can usually do them for $500-$1000.So there not far off.It needs done and will be there for at least 40yrs.

Participant

What is your home owner’s insurance deductible? Your policy usually covers that problem, so you would only have to pay the deductible and the actual cost of repairing the pipe itself, which is usually a very small item.

Participant

Oops. Sorry, I missed the part that it was the outside house line. I assume it is not a blue plastic pipe, in which case that pipe is your responsibility. Depending on your areas requirements for burial depth, and materials, the hardest part is normally digging the trench, but it is also the most critical.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This