Water Heater leak(?)

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Water Heater leak(?)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have a A O Smith water heater tank that is being used as a storage tank for a heat exchanger hot water system (a gas boiler heats the water then it is circulated through the exchanger tank). During the summer months I noticed a small amount of water trickling out of the thermostat access cover. Closer examination lead be to believe that this was caused by condensation. Now that it has been cooler and the boiler has been heating water for the baseboard heat Ive noticed the amount of water coming from the panel has increased considerably (there is a small puddle forming on the floor under the water tank). Should I still consider this condensation or should I start thinking there is a leak? All the soldered connections are sound. The water seems to be coming from the side of the tank.

Participant

: I have a A O Smith water heater tank that is being used as a storage tank for a heat exchanger hot water system (a gas boiler heats the water then it is circulated through the exchanger tank). During the summer months I noticed a small amount of water trickling out of the thermostat access cover. : Closer examination lead be to believe that this was caused by condensation. Now that it has been cooler and the boiler has been heating water for the baseboard heat Ive noticed the amount of water coming from the panel has increased considerably (there is a small puddle forming on the floor under the water tank). Should I still consider this condensation or should I start thinking there : is a leak? All the soldered connections are sound. The water seems to be coming from the side of the tank.How old is the tank? It sounds like it needs replacing.

Participant

The MFGs Serial tag claims the tank was manufactured in 1992. I agree with your assessment and have scheduled a plumber to take a look at it this afternoon. With consideration to the data in my original post the water stored in the tank has been softened. Does the salinity (saltiness) of the water accelerate the oxidation of the tank? I will ask the plumber the same question and see what he suggests as a solution (if applicable). Thanks again.

Participant

: The MFGs Serial tag claims the tank was manufactured in 1992. I agree with your assessment and have scheduled a plumber to take a look at it this afternoon. With consideration to the data in my original post : the water stored in the tank has been softened. Does the salinity (saltiness) of the water accelerate the oxidation of the tank? I will ask the plumber the same question and see what he suggests as a solution (if applicable). Thanks again.Soft water is generally easier on the pipes.(Depending on the water chemestry in your area.) The area I am from water heater tanks usually last approx 7 to 10 years.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This