Steam to Hot Water Conversion

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Steam to Hot Water Conversion

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I have recently purchased a 40 year old house with the orignal steam boiler. I need to replace it and would like to go to hot water. Does it make any sense to do this? Is it within the scope of a DYIer to convert the cast radiators (includining the feed and return). If not can I 2 zone the steam system when I replace the boiler?

Participant

Ideally, the hot water feed would go to the top of the radiator, but a bottom connection works almost as well. the steam traps on the outlet would have to replaced with radiator ells, and the air vent would be moved to the top of the radiator. Also, the radiators must have a top tube joining them so that the water can cirulate through the radiator. Yours probably do, but some steam radiators were only joined at the bottom since steam did not need circulation at the top. The hardest part is usually getting parts unscrewed after years of baking in steam temperatures.: I have recently purchased a 40 year old house with the orignal steam boiler. I need to replace it and would like to go to hot water. Does it make any sense to do this? Is it within the scope of a DYIer to convert the cast radiators (includining the feed and return). If not can I 2 zone the steam system when I replace the boiler?

Participant

Ideally, the hot water feed would go to the top of the radiator, but a bottom connection works almost as well. the steam traps on the outlet would have to replaced with radiator ells, and the air vent would be moved to the top of the radiator. Also, the radiators must have a top tube joining them so that the water can cirulate through the radiator. Yours probably do, but some steam radiators were only joined at the bottom since steam did not need circulation at the top. The hardest part is usually getting parts unscrewed after years of baking in steam temperatures.: I have recently purchased a 40 year old house with the orignal steam boiler. I need to replace it and would like to go to hot water. Does it make any sense to do this? Is it within the scope of a DYIer to convert the cast radiators (includining the feed and return). If not can I 2 zone the steam system when I replace the boiler?

Participant

: Ideally, the hot water feed would go to the top of the radiator, but a bottom connection works almost as well. the steam traps on the outlet would have to replaced with radiator ells, the return piping resized and modified to ensure proper circulation, and, finally, the air vent would be moved to the top of the radiator. Also, the radiators must have a top tube joining them so that the water can cirulate through the radiator. Yours probably do, but some steam radiators were only joined at the bottom since steam did not need circulation at the top. The hardest part is usually getting parts unscrewed after years of baking in steam temperatures.: : I have recently purchased a 40 year old house with the orignal steam boiler. I need to replace it and would like to go to hot water. Does it make any sense to do this? Is it within the scope of a DYIer to convert the cast radiators (includining the feed and return). If not can I 2 zone the steam system when I replace the boiler?

Participant

: I have recently purchased a 40 year old house with the orignal steam boiler. I need to replace it and would like to go to hot water. Does it make any sense to do this? Is it within the scope of a DYIer to convert the cast radiators (includining the feed and return). If not can I 2 zone the steam system when I replace the boiler?If ypu have a 2 pipe steam system you have it made to convert it to a hydronics 1c You DO NOT have to remove the radiator steam traps. Just remove the elements and use these traps as radiator ells. Granted your flow will be slower BUT having a slower flow will give the boiler more time to heat the water passing through. Personally I like non electric thermostatic valves on each radiator to balance out the system and it saves a fortune in fuel. Each radiator can be custom tailored to your needs If your radiator can allow circulation through all the tubes you may just install a tee on the top of the radiator with the flow control calve on the run and a bleeder on the bull of the tee. I like feeding the radiators from the bottom as heat travels up and you get natural movement inside the radiatorBUT I put the return on the top. A hot water system is very ,very forgiving. even if you really screw up and under size the boiler you can still adjust the water temperature higher to alow for your short comings in design. The key to any boiler installation is FOLLOW MANUFACTURERS DIRECTIONS NEAR BOILER PIPING ARRANGMENT. There is a GURU in heating his name is Dan Holohan. Call him and request his books Especially Pumping away 516 579-7926 Tell him Sylvan from the Bronx sent you. Dan doesnt talk engineer he puts it in simple language that even a tech can understand :-) Good luck Sylvan

Participant

I second Sylvans recommendation for Dan Holohan. Dans books were indespensible when i lived in Brooklyn with a steam system.I just moved to a hydroponic and have ordered his pumping awayDans website is http://www.heatinghelp.com

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This