clearing Kohler bathtub drain

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives clearing Kohler bathtub drain

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

What a great idea to offer plumbing advice over the Web!I am a homeowner with a problem that should be simple for me to handle, and too unchallenging for a professional plumber to want to handle it.I have a simple Kohler drain in a bath tub. A Kohler salesman said it sounds like a Model K-1160 from my description over the phone. After 14 years of service it has finally become clogged.What is the procedure for clearing a clog with this type of drain stopper mechanism? Are there any detailed diagrams or step-by-step instructions on the Web?Here is what I have tried so far. The salesman said that the access to it is via the overflow drain. I unscrewed the cover plate that holds the open/close switch for the drain, and pulled the mechanism as far as it would go without straining anything. There are a series of small metal links going from the cover plate to a thin shaft that goes down the drain pipe. I hesitate to disassemble these without knowing how to avoid having some of the parts slip down the drain pipe and out of reach. I then tried to run a small hand-driven snake by it without success.Thanks in advance, Ed

Participant

: What a great idea to offer plumbing advice over the Web!: I am a homeowner with a problem that should be simple for me to handle, and too unchallenging for a professional plumber to want to handle it.: I have a simple Kohler drain in a bath tub. A Kohler salesman said it sounds like a Model K-1160 from my description over the phone. After 14 years of service it has finally become clogged.: What is the procedure for clearing a clog with this type of drain stopper mechanism? Are there any detailed diagrams or step-by-step instructions on the Web?: Here is what I have tried so far. The salesman said that the access to it is via the overflow drain. I unscrewed the cover plate that holds the open/close switch for the drain, and pulled the mechanism as far as it would go without straining anything. There are a series of small metal links going from the cover plate to a thin shaft that goes down the drain pipe. I hesitate to disassemble these without knowing how to avoid having some of the parts slip down the drain pipe and out of reach. I then tried to run a small hand-driven snake by it without success.: Thanks in advance, : Ed do not take apart linkage. keep jiggleing it should come on out with the plunger(stopper) on the end of links

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This