AWH wiring

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives AWH wiring

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

This probably seems pretty basic, but…I recently replaced the thermostats and elements on a State 60 gal. water heater. I am an electrician, and a gas fitter, so have some experience in this matter. After completing the wiring as per the packaged instructions included with the upper thermostat/limit combination, I found that I had the same phase feeding the lower element. Checking the upper control, I had the wiring installed per the instructions, but found I had to switch the black wire from post #4 to double up on post #2 in order to get 240v across the lower element. Am I nuts? or is this a typo on the instruction sheet? If anyone knows of a site where I could have a look at the proper wiring method for this residential unit, I would be grateful. The AWH is working ok now, but I hate to leave something hooked up not according to manufacturers specs. Thanks.

Participant

Ken:–Different thermostat manufacturers have differing wireing diagrams because the internal connections. Yellow and Blue wire to the upper element…Red and Black to the lower. As you know, the upper thermostat is a double pole double throw switch that is activated by a thermodisc. Only when the upper thermostat is satisfied will there be a 240 vac reading across the lower element terminals. Because the upper thermostat only makes and breaks on one leg of the 240 supply, there is always a 120 volt reading at the lower element (between the terminal and ground)……..Bud.This probably seems pretty basic, but…I recently replaced the thermostats and elements on a State 60 gal. water heater. I am an electrician, and a gas fitter, so have some experience in this matter. After completing the wiring as per the packaged instructions included with the upper thermostat/limit combination, I found that I had the same phase feeding the lower element. Checking the upper control, I had the wiring installed per the instructions, but found I had to switch the black wire from post #4 to double up on post #2 in order to get 240v across the lower element. : Am I nuts? or is this a typo on the instruction sheet? If anyone knows of a site where I could have a look at the proper wiring method for this residential unit, I would be grateful. The AWH is working ok now, but I hate to leave something hooked up not according to manufacturers specs. : Thanks.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This