Electric Water Heater

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Electric Water Heater

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I just recently bought a townhouse. In the townhouse there is an Electric Water heater. A friend of mine, who is a plumber looked at it and told me it was not installed properly to code. According to the home inspector it was put in 1984. Part of the problem he says is there is no drain pain, and the relief valve has no pipe attached to it. The home inspector gave it an approval however. What I would like to know is if it is a code violation now, or is it grandfathered in as I have been told? It is also on the second floor of the the unit. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

Participant

The safety pan is often a decision for the installer, but the relief valve, by all codes, has to be piped to a safe drain source, either the exterior of the building or a proper floor drain. Your heater may be installed over a drain that the relief valve can discharge into, otherwise it is in violation.And there is no grandfather for that.: I just recently bought a townhouse. In the townhouse there is an Electric Water heater. A friend of mine, who is a plumber looked at it and told me it was not installed properly to code. According to the home inspector it was put in 1984. Part of the problem he says is there is no drain pain, and the relief valve has no pipe attached to it. : The home inspector gave it an approval however. What I would like to know is if it is a code violation now, or is it grandfathered in as I have been told? : It is also on the second floor of the the unit. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This