Lead shower pan

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Lead shower pan

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Is there any way to replace or repair my leaking shower with a lead pan without distroying my beautiful 1920s tiles that I can not find replacements for? I do have access to the bottom of the shower, but my plumber says its not possible.

Participant

Believe your plumber. The pan has to go under the floor tile and up the walls to a point higher than the door sill. Obviously, that cannot be done without removing the tile.: Is there any way to replace or repair my leaking shower with a lead pan without distroying my beautiful 1920s tiles that I can not find replacements for? I do have access to the bottom of the shower, but my plumber says its not possible.

Participant

: Re: msg posted by Darren Beck 10/11/99 12:28:49 I had a shower in a 1928 home that leaked & repaired it. I broke out the tile and the concrete beneath it & discovered that the installer had poured the floor and must have used a chisel or a screw driver at the edge of the concrete to push down the lead tray and punched 4 or five holes in the tray on one side. I scraped off the oxide and with an electric sodering iron 50/50 soder, acid and flux was able to apply soder to seal the holes & then poured a new floor & applied new tiles with a tile paste adhesive & solved the problem. You could probably fix it without removing the tiles if you scraped out the grout, where cracked, regrouted and then put a bead of silicon calking around the sides. If you can see the leaking spot from below there is a calking available similar to rope calking that never gets hard. Just press it into the holes from below while the lead tray is dry. This could last for years. I obtained the calking from a Rec. Vehicle dealer. They use it to seal the roof vents on RVs when they replace them.: : Is there any way to replace or repair my leaking shower with a lead pan without distroying my beautiful 1920s tiles that I can not find replacements for? I do have access to the bottom of the shower, but my plumber says its not possible.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This