testing elements & thermostats on water heater

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives testing elements & thermostats on water heater

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

although I have done this numerous times, I can never remember how to check the elements and therostat on an electric water heater.

Participant

Without knowing which test equipment you have, it is difficult to give the steps you have done in the past. However, if you have a snap around ammeter and voltmeter, this is the routine I use. First check for 240 v. power at the input to the upper thermostat. Then check for power below the high limit switch. Then check for 240 v. power to the upper element. If it has power, then check for 240 v. between the lower left and lower right terminals on the thermostat, and then use the ammeter to see if it is using power, at least 17 amps. And if the test between the two terminals did not show 240 v. or if it showed 115 v., then the lower element is burned out. If it did not have power, then the tank should have some hot water so perform the same tests on the lower element.: although I have done this numerous times, I can never remember how to check the elements and therostat on an electric water heater.

Participant

I agree with previous response but would like to add. Turn off power and remove wires from elements and use an ohm meter to check element for open circuit. Using the ohms scale you should get continuity through the element. If getting a reading reconnect wires, elements are good.: Without knowing which test equipment you have, it is difficult to give the steps you have done in the past. However, if you have a snap around ammeter and voltmeter, this is the routine I use. First check for 240 v. power at the input to the upper thermostat. Then check for power below the high limit switch. Then check for 240 v. power to the upper element. If it has power, then check for 240 v. between the lower left and lower right terminals on the thermostat, and then use the ammeter to see if it is using power, at least 17 amps. And if the test between the two terminals did not show 240 v. or if it showed 115 v., then the lower element is burned out. If it did not have power, then the tank should have some hot water so perform the same tests on the lower element.: : although I have done this numerous times, I can never remember how to check the elements and therostat on an electric water heater.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This