Locating Leach Lines

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Locating Leach Lines

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I am considering installing an inground swimming pool, but I dont know where my septic system leach lines run. I think they run in the general vicinity of the proposed pool. Is there a way for me to determine where the line are located? Who should I call to help me out?

Participant

There is no way to detect them. Even locator companies will not be able to help since the lines do not run directly from the tank to the field. The first enter a distribution box and then branch to the various runs. Your county health board, or whoever has jurisdiction over septic tanks, may have the original approved plan that could give the dimensions that you are looking for.: I am considering installing an inground swimming pool, but I dont know where my septic system leach lines run. I think they run in the general vicinity of the proposed pool. Is there a way for me to determine where the line are located? Who should I call to help me out?

Participant

: I am considering installing an inground swimming pool, but I dont know where my septic system leach lines run. I think they run in the general vicinity of the proposed pool. Is there a way for me to determine where the line are located? Who should I call to help me out?Steve, you might try dowsing rods (also known as witching sticks or L rods) to locate the distribution pipes in your leach field. I have been using this technology since 1970 to locate pipes(including plastic pipes), telephone wires, and power lines. Not everyone is blessed with the ability to dowse for underground utility structures but I would recommend that you give it a try.An inexpensive method to make your L rods is to straighten out a wire clothes hanger and cut off a piece of wire about 24 long. Brass brazing rod also works quite well. My L rods are brass with 1/4 rigid brass tubing for the handles. Bend about 6 of one end of the wire 90 degrees so that it forms an L. You need 2 of these units.Lightly grasp the 6 handle end of the L rods in each hand, with the long end out in front of you, so that the long end is horizontal. Hold your hands about 16 apart, and dont hold on to the handle to tightly or the L rods wont swing to the center when you cross the pipe. Practice with the L rods over a hose, a piece of pipe that is on top of the ground, or an underground pipe or wire whose location is known. If you are blessed with Witchin ability the L rods will swing toward each other when you cross the leach field distribution pipes. It is imperative that you believe this mysterious phenomena actually works. I know it does for me because I have sucessfully located many undocumented leach fields in my career.If you are not blessed with dowsing ability, then I suggest that you contact a septic system installer, excavator, well driller, or perhaps a dowser in your area to locate it for you. Good Luck, and let me know by e-mail if you find your leach field with this method. JWA

Participant

: I am considering installing an inground swimming pool, but I dont know where my septic system leach lines run. I think they run in the general vicinity of the proposed pool. Is there a way for me to determine where the line are located? Who should I call to help me out?;;; you should check local codes too. I have an inground in back and septic in front – you might not be allowed to have them on top of each other.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This