Squeeling shower

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Squeeling shower

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Intermittenly when the shower is running, it starts to make a high pitched squeeling noise.

Can you tell what this is and how to go about fixing it?

Participant

more common on the hot side its more likely a washer

Participant

I had no idea it had anything to do with whether the water was hot or cold! After testing, I found mine to also be only when the hot water was being used.

Where can I get *detailed* directions on how to replace that washer (and exactly *where* that washer is)? I’m pretty much incompetent when it comes to household repairs!

~ Nancy ~
            Bothell, WA

Participant

Click here to get detailed help.

DISCLAIMER

All advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed Plumber and Drainer with my own business in Brisbane Australia.
              Try visiting ….
              http://www.internut.com.auhttp://www.prostate-healthcare.comhttp://www.ebookmegastore.com

Participant

Is this a tubshower combo or shower only? Do you have the make and model of the control? Is it a single handle control or two or three handle control? Do you use shampoo with conditioner or just regular?….just kidding!

Sorry for all the questions but these answers would help those of us here to narrow down the problem…..maybe!

Just check around the control valve and see if there is a makemodel number. If not, you might even describe its appearance a little.

One more thing, if this IS a tubshower combo unit, tell us where the shower diverter button or control is located. Some are operated by a separate handle, some are operated by a “push in” button near the main control valve and still others are located at the spout(either a pull “up” knob or even a pull “down” knob incorported into the end of the spout). These last are notorious for causing a high pitched squeel if they do not seal off properly.

Thanks!

Participant

Thanks, guys! Let’s see…

It’s a tub/shower combo. There is only a dial-style control for hot/cold. On the spigot is a plunger that you pull up to activate the shower: it looks like the ones on bathroom sinks. Also, I’ve installed a hand-held shower. I have no idea if it squealed when it still had a wall-mounted showerhead. As for the make/model – it’s just builder’s stuff, so I’m guessing the lowest level of American Standard.

Body-building, root-fluffing shampoos, no conditioner.

~ Nancy ~
                  Bothell, WA

Participant

Hello?

~ Nancy ~
                    Bothell, WA

Participant

Just an update for the next person who needs info on this problem.

The spigot was Mixet, which is made by Delta. We had to replace the whole spigot because the washers, control valve, etc. are built into the spigot. There’s a screw on the spigot (mine was on the side facing the wall) – just unscrew that and pull. You don’t even need to shut off the main water. The spigot was about $22 at Lowe’s.

~ Nancy ~
                      Bothell, WA

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This