copper pipeing

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing copper pipeing

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

#1. What cause’s water hammer.
        #2. What is the proper way to ream.
        #3. What is meant by copper maximim suggested velocity
        #4.Give all vital imformation for amuture, do’s and don’t for me trying to repipe my house.
        #5. Year’s back I put a sink in the basement and ran cpvc pipe should I replace all galvanize and cpvc with copper. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Participant

#1. What cause’s water hammer.

Answer. Hydraulic shock waves from Quick closing IS dish washer Ice maker Washing machine, flushometers, certain ball cocks and most solenoid valves. VERY dangerious condition that can rupture piping systems

#2. What is the proper way to ream.

Answer. Use a reamer (tool) either attached to most good Quality tubing cutters or purchased separately

#3. What is meant by copper maximim suggested velocity

Answer. Depending on piping materials AND temperature AND what is moving through the piping predicated maximum velocity allowed during design.
          For example water flowing through copper tubing should be no more then 8 FPS BUT if the temperature of the water exceeds 180 Degrees then the velocity should NEVER exceed 2-3 FPS Again depending on hardness etc.

#4.Give all vital imformation for amuture, do’s and don’t for me trying to repipe my house.

Answer Dont cause if you over size the piping your wasting money If you under size the piping you will have a premature failure.

Piping is NOT arbitrarily picked out of the air UNLIKE most stumble Bum helpers and non licensed handymen think.

Piping design is a science knowing how to calculate fixture units (FU) in drainage and supply lines.

Where to put a FOUR FITTING swing for expansion and contraction do the the different coefficient per degree per inch of various materials

#5. Year’s back I put a sink in the basement and ran cpvc pipe should I replace all galvanize and cpvc with copper. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer. Depending AGAIN on pH and other water quality aspects what materials should be used.

Most of the time if you take your time into consideration you will actually find it cheaper and better to hire ONLY licensed craftsmen in the trades they are doing. Demand to see a license and Certificate of insurance for YOUR protection.

Participant

Well said Mr Tieger! And if you decide to use copper for your water distribution lines, make sure you use a minimum grade type L copper tube. Unfortunatley many residential contractors in my area have now elected to use a thinner walled type M copper tube in order to save a few bucks. Insist on type L…a little more expensive, but definitly worth it in the long haul. Most engineers call for a MINIMUM type L in their specifications for commercial buildings as well and there is a reason for it…. so have it done right the first time. I would also recommend getting a professionnal licensed plumber to this for you, as the proper sizing of water distribution and drainage lines is of utmost importance, irregardless of the material you choose.

Frank Hiebert
            3rd yr apprentice
            Edmonton, Alberta
            PIPDL

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This