Hot Water Smell

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Hot Water Smell

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I would like to know what might be causing my hot water to have an odor and leave me feeling unclean after a shower. We have drained the tank several times and it never helped. The county has checked the water and it is fine. It is only happening when the hot water is one. Sometimes smells like plastic melting and has a slight odor. Please e-mail with answers. Thanks, Helen Thissen PS This is the second water heater by your company within the five years of this house.model number. #cd5 52 2ort961 Serial #A97485374

Participant

: I would like to know what might be causing my hot water to have an odor and leave me feeling : unclean after a shower. We have drained the tank several times and it never helped. The county has : checked the water and it is fine. It is only happening when the hot water is one. Sometimes smells like : plastic melting and has a slight odor. Please e-mail with answers. : Thanks, : Helen Thissen : PS : This is the second water heater by your company within the five years of this house.: model number. #cd5 52 2ort961 : Serial #A97485374There is a bacteria that can react with the magnesium anode to produce hydrogen sulfide gas. Smells like rotten eggs. Changing the anode rod to aluminum can sometimes help. More information on my website.Bill

Participant

: I would like to know what might be causing my hot water to have an odor and leave me feeling : unclean after a shower. We have drained the tank several times and it never helped. The county has : checked the water and it is fine. It is only happening when the hot water is one. Sometimes smells like : plastic melting and has a slight odor. Please e-mail with answers. : Thanks, : Helen Thissen : PS : This is the second water heater by your company within the five years of this house.: model number. #cd5 52 2ort961 : Serial #A97485374We get a smell in our water, that is more noticeable when the water is heated. It smells like algae. The water district says that it happens during hot weather when algae blooms in the storage lakes. They increase the amount of chlorine to try to get rid of it, but the chlorine is worse for you than the algae.

Participant

Run some cold water into a pan.. Put it on the stove and heat it up. If it begins to smell now, at least you know that it is not the hot water tank giving you a problem, it is the waters reaction to heat.

Participant

: : I would like to know what might be causing my hot water to have an odor and leave me feeling : : unclean after a shower. We have drained the tank several times and it never helped. The county has : : checked the water and it is fine. It is only happening when the hot water is one. Sometimes smells like : : plastic melting and has a slight odor. Please e-mail with answers. : : Thanks, : : Helen Thissen : : PS : : This is the second water heater by your company within the five years of this house.: : model number. #cd5 52 2ort961 : : Serial #A97485374: There is a bacteria that can react with the magnesium anode to produce hydrogen sulfide gas. Smells like rotten eggs. Changing the anode rod to aluminum can sometimes help. More information on my website.: BillYou have a Duron lined water heater. It has no anode rod in it to have the chemical reaction, Bill mentioned,that water can have with magnesium. However, in some instances, the Duron lining, which is a patented plastic polymer compound, can sometimes give off a plastic like smell. It will go away by itself. Kind of like a new car smell. You are not getting anything dirty from the heater. It will go away, it could take a few weeks.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This