Bathtub drain

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Bathtub drain

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I have just moved into an 18yr old house. One of the bathtubs will not hold water. It has a plunger type tub drain. When I removed the face plate I saw that the entire drain assembly was missing. I bought a new assymbly at the store, but even after I had adjusted it as short as it could go I still could not get to go far enough in to allow me to screw the face plate back on. And even with the plunger at a solid stop in the drain it still will not hold water. Water flows freely through the drain and through the overflow. I am not able to see or feel any foreign objects in the drain. Are there different diamaters of tub plungers? Or what could be my problem?

Participant

Yes, there are as many different sized drains as there are manufacturers, and sometimes they even use more than one size for different products. But you could also have the old drain stuck in the pipe. That is the most common reason for discarding the mechanism. As long as the tub drains, then you can remove the tubs bottom drain fitting and install a Lift and Turn or pull up stopper in its place. : I have just moved into an 18yr old house. One of the bathtubs will not hold water. It has a plunger type tub drain. When I removed the face plate I saw that the entire drain assembly was missing. I bought a new assymbly at the store, but even after I had adjusted it as short as it could go I still could not get to go far enough in to allow me to screw the face plate back on. And even with the plunger at a solid stop in the drain it still will not hold water. Water flows freely through the drain and through the overflow. I am not able to see or feel any foreign objects in the drain. Are there different diamaters of tub plungers? Or what could be my problem?

Participant

: I have just moved into an 18yr old house. One of the bathtubs will not hold water. It has a plunger type tub drain. When I removed the face plate I saw that the entire drain assembly was missing. I bought a new assymbly at the store, but even after I had adjusted it as short as it could go I still could not get to go far enough in to allow me to screw the face plate back on. And even with the plunger at a solid stop in the drain it still will not hold water. Water flows freely through the drain and through the overflow. I am not able to see or feel any foreign objects in the drain. Are there different diamaters of tub plungers? Or what could be my problem?unfortunately there is no uniform standard for plungers . there is a drain stopper call Flip It which fits into tub shoe to replace stopper, however I find they stop up with hair easiely. Watco makes stoppers that can be installed by screwing out the shoe drain. often referred to as touch toe or push- pull drains. they may not be pretty, but its hard to beat a plain old rubber stopper.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This