maintenance on steam radiator system

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives maintenance on steam radiator system

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have a house that is 75+ years old. What do I need to do the maintain the steam heat system I have?

Participant

If it is a one pipe system, then you have to keep the air vents in good shape by replacing them when they start to go bad. A two pipe system requires that the outlet traps be checked and replaced or serviced annually.: I have a house that is 75+ years old. What do I need to do the maintain the steam heat system I have?

Participant

: I have a house that is 75+ years old. What do I need to do the maintain the steam heat system I have?NOTHING if it aint broke leave it alone. Just check to make sure you have no leaks as all fresh water contains oxygen and this is what kills a steam system. If a radiator doesnt get hot replace the air vent. To blance out a system alwys put the smaller vents closer to the heating source Good luck

Participant

I, too, bought into an old place with steam heat. (built 1903) and needed to get up to speed on steam heat. I got a book titled The lost art of steam heat by Dan Holohan. I cant recommend it highly enough. Its got stuff in there for the master plumber and stuff in there for the homeowner.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This