“Fabric” for French Drain

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives “Fabric” for French Drain

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Im in the middle of a French Drain project in my back yard, attempting to keep water from draining over the slab of my detached garage. Its just a straight shot to the alley. Ive got the trench dug and the levels about right. Ive got some perforated pipe for the drain portion, solid pipe for the header, and a couple junction boxes with drains.My question is about the landscape fabric that Ive seen referred to here and elsewhere. What specifically are we talking about: burlap, weed barrier, some sort of mesh, …? Ive got some weed barrier material which supposedly lets water through but water doesnt seem to pass through very quickly and Im worried that would greatly reduce the drain effectiveness. It seems like burlap or some sort of mesh would work better. Im also aware there is some sort of sock for the perforated pipe that can be bought. I might go find some of that to use.Thanks for your help, Matt

Participant

: Im in the middle of a French Drain project in my back yard, attempting to keep water from draining over the slab of my detached garage. Its just a straight shot to the alley. Ive got the trench dug and the levels about right. Ive got some perforated pipe for the drain portion, solid pipe for the header, and a couple junction boxes with drains.: My question is about the landscape fabric that Ive seen referred to here and elsewhere. What specifically are we talking about: burlap, weed barrier, some sort of mesh, …? Ive got some weed barrier material which supposedly lets water through but water doesnt seem to pass through very quickly and Im worried that would greatly reduce the drain effectiveness. It seems like burlap or some sort of mesh would work better. Im also aware there is some sort of sock for the perforated pipe that can be bought. I might go find some of that to use.: Thanks for your help, : MattMatt, check out the web page ezdrain.com/ I have not used this product, but it looks like it would be very effective, and permanent for use as a french drain. Burlap is certainly a low cost material, but it will decompose very rapidly. Advanced Drainage Systems makes a product called Advan-Edge. It is a flat, perforated, polyethylene Pipe covered with a geotextile. It comes in rolls of 100 feet and widths of 18 and 12. It is about 1.5 thick, and has several fittings for adapting to 4 or 6 round pipe. I use this product as a collection baffle in Constructed Wetland systems, and as a distribution pipe over subsurface sand filters. JWA

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This