VERY LOUD vibrating noise in house

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives VERY LOUD vibrating noise in house

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Can anyone tell me what is happening? I live in an 11 year old raised ranch. The main water line into my home and a 4-piece bathroom are located on the lower level. Frequently, up to 6 times per day for 1-5 minutes each occurence, the front quarter (both upper and lower)of my home where the above features are located literally moans. The main water pipe(located in a closet, all adjoining walls,through to the lower level bathroom walls and fixtures(located approx. 12 away)vibrates to such a degree that you could not be heard to talk over the noise. All this occurs without so much as the flushing of a toilet or turning on of a tap! This has only happened to our knowledge over the course of the past 2 years, having lived in the house for 5 years. I had a plumber in and they could not offer an explanation. Everyone else, thinks were nuts. Id GREATLY APPRECIATE an explanation or direction as to what, if anything, should be done before my animals have heart attacks. In full explanation, there is another 4-piece bathroom on the upper level and my plumber assures me that all work to code. THANKS SO MUCH!

Participant

Just a thought, is your TV antenna anywhere near the noise. They have a lovely hum in the breeze, almost like a water hammer.

Participant

Thanks for the reply, but, we do not have a tv antenna. The vibration is definately in the water pipes and anything near or attached to them, just like a really loud water hammer as you suggested, but without using any plumbing feature. Any further ideas?Just a thought, is your TV antenna anywhere near the noise. They have a lovely hum in the breeze, almost like a water hammer.

Participant

I had the same problem several years ago. Turned out it was caused by a bad diaphragm in the toilet ballcock. It would happen at random times in the day – not related to toilet use or water running. Its a cheap and easy thing to do and it might just solve your problem. Good luck.

Participant

Thank you! I will tend to your suggestion.I had the same problem several years ago. Turned out it was caused by a bad diaphragm in the toilet ballcock. It would happen at random times in the day – not related to toilet use or water running. Its a cheap and easy thing to do and it might just solve your problem. Good luck.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This