Hot Water Tank – Flushing

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Hot Water Tank – Flushing

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I want to remove a couple of gallons of water from my hot water tank in order to flush out any sediment at the bottom of the tank. Is it necessary to shut off the incoming cold water into the tank ? Should I open a hot water faucet up stairs ? Thanks, Joe

Participant

: I want to remove a couple of gallons of water from my hot water tank in order to flush out any sediment at the bottom of the tank. Is it necessary to shut off the incoming cold water into the tank ? Should I open a hot water faucet up stairs ? : Thanks, : JoeJoe if you shut the water supply and then drain your hot water heater you will can possibly do the following. 1- cause and Air pocket This inturn will set up a very dangerious condition. Water for the most part can not be compressed BUT air can. Take 2 balloons fill one with air the other with water. Puncture both see which one reacts more violently. Now picture a pressure vessel (H/W tank) building up 200 or 300 pounds pressure and it finally lets go.. BOMB time. Not a great idea HUH?2-Now suppose you drain out the water and let nice COLD clean water hit this hot tank. You now have thermo stress and metal fatigue and again a possible melt down AGAIN not a very good move on your part I think.3-Flushing out the sediment is only a very small part of preventive maintenance. for example the only safety on this potencial bomb is the T&P Valve. Another aspect is checking the burner for proper combustion. The flue check is to make sure you dont end up dying from lack of oxygen and to check for spillage of CO a deadly gas from incomplete combustion. The Professional Plumber/Gas fitter also checks the position of the thermo coupling and its condition. The operating controler must also be checked with the operation. The T&P should phycally taken out and check the element for line and calcium deposits which can render the relief valve useless in case it is needed A litle knowledge is very dangerious. Before you think about doing it yourself WHY not consider calling a licesnsed and insured Master plumber OR Gas fitter DO not allow anyone to look at your tank who is NOT LICENSED & insured. If the contractor says he is sending over a TECH HANG UP immediately. A tech is not as skilled as a licensed Journeyman. The term tech came about to beat licensing laws. Anyone can call themselfs tech. No skill required. Be very leary of franchises as some actually push out people with 6 weeks training. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me. Have a great one Sylvan

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This