need info on polybutal pipe

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing need info on polybutal pipe

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Hi I am looking for info on polybutal pipe — do you know any sites I can go to or —
        answr this can you use all purpose pvc cement on polybutal and join pvc with out a problem?? or is
        there some other way to work on this sh–t with out spending hundreds of dollars in crimping
        tools— I’m a home owner with 5 year old poly pipe and want to make some changes PLEASE HELP !!!!
        [email protected]

Participant

You cannot glue it. You can get compression adapter fittings that will allow you to transition to copper. What problems are you having and have you checked with the claims group?

Participant

Fourth year is correct. You cannot glue it. If you retain the services of a professional licensed plumber, he will have the necessary tools needed for the job.

Participant

I’ve had success using a plastic fittings system, which is all push-fit (a bit like LEGO!). From memory, I think the brand name was “Acorn” but you can get generic parts nowadays. The fittings are more expensive than the usual copper fittings but you won’t have to shell out for a crimper. I’ve installed some a few years back without any problems. But if you’re doing a lot of joints, a set of crimping tools may be worth the investment. I’m in NZ, where a large manufacturer produced a type of (crimp-required)copper-plastic fittings which failed after approx.10 years! My house was one of those with these fittings. Too much hassle to sue, and the plumbers bills were starting to add up, so I’ve replaced the fittings myself. In the end, I bought myself a couple of crimpers, as it’s easier to use than the push-fit system in hard-to-access places. But I’ve been happy with the plastic push-fit fittings too (however – make sure you fit them properly or they can fail!)
              Good luck.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This