Plastic vs. copper

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Plastic vs. copper

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I am in the middle of a major bathroom overhall and I am debating using plastic vs. copper supply lines to the new fixtures. Is plastic the wave of the future, is it as good as copper? It sure is easy to work with, and I see a lot of new home builders using it. What do the experts think? Thanks in advance.

Participant

You see builders using plastic for two reasons, it is cheap,and the installers do not have to have any experience.: I am in the middle of a major bathroom overhall and I am debating using plastic vs. copper supply lines to the new fixtures. Is plastic the wave of the future, is it as good as copper? It sure is easy to work with, and I see a lot of new home builders using it. What do the experts think? : Thanks in advance.

Participant

I dont like plastic. Copper has always been reliable. In situations where there are acidic soils or danger of freezing,copper may need protection. Copper is best, thats my opinion.

Participant

: You see builders using plastic for two reasons, it is cheap,and the installers do not have to have any experience.: : I am in the middle of a major bathroom overhall and I am debating using plastic vs. copper supply lines to the new fixtures. Is plastic the wave of the future, is it as good as copper? It sure is easy to work with, and I see a lot of new home builders using it. What do the experts think? : : Thanks in advance.Copper lasts and lasts and lasts. Copper is very safe as in case of fire it doesnt give off toxic fumes. Copper does not promote bacteria growth. there are many documented plastic GARBAGE failures. If you look at the churches in in Europe with copper roofs lasting for over 300 YEARS exposed to allthe elements how can you not go with this Gods gift to man kind. Plastic is good for lawn furnature and has no business in plumbing ( other than acid waste systems)Lotss of plastic faliures documented.. For drainage/ venting use Cast Iron for water Copper. The reason home builders use plastic it is CHEAP requires NO SKILL to install. The major problem with garbage plastic drainage is support or it sags. Even the manufacturer of Both CI and plastic suggest Cast Iron for QUIET drainage and plastic for venting.The only thing with copper is to USE a reamer to prevent errosion and non self cleaning fluxes as they contain some acid and if not properly flushed out can cause premature failure. Plastic glue and primer are highly toxic READ the zillion warnings on the can. Think Plumbing use Copper.. Good Luck. Sylvan

Participant

Jeffrey,I just moved out of a house that was plumbed totally in PVC. I lived there since 1982. The only problem we had was with a faucet on the front wall. The pipe was exposed to sunlight and is UV sensitive. Thats a big no-no. The rest of the plumbing is in the attic. Thats because the house was build on a slab after the first house burned. with all plumbing in the attic and being PVC changes like adding an ice maker line, etc were very easy. Other than the exposed to sun problem it was fine.If I were doing any new or renovation work, I would use copper supply and PVC drains. Even though I never had problems I just think copper is the better choice.I grew up in a house with galvanized iron pipes. Those are the LAST choice.Good luck!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This