Anode Rod in water heater

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Anode Rod in water heater

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

We are on a well, and almost three years ago, we installed a new gas water heater, a water softener. Things went well for a year, then we were finding tiny black deposits coming out of the tub and sink taps.We were told it was oxidized sulphur, and needed a hose from the well, with a gadget that injects air into the water, then the water would go into a holding tank, from there, to the softener.Well we did this (and added a rust remover machine as well) and were promised the best water possible. Now some 6 months later, we still find the water smells. We called in the company, and the rep said to take the anode rod out of the hot water tank, and that would solve our problem. He said it isnt a sulphur smell. He said that the rod is for hard water, and since we have soft water, we do not need it.Well, we arent sure what the purpose of this rod is, and would like to know, and would also like to know if this rod could be the problem.Appreciate your assistance. Thank you

Participant

: We are on a well, and almost three years ago, we installed a new gas water heater, a water softener. Things went well for a year, then we were finding tiny black deposits coming out of the tub and sink taps.: We were told it was oxidized sulphur, and needed a hose from the well, with a gadget that injects air into the water, then the water would go into a holding tank, from there, to the softener.: Well we did this (and added a rust remover machine as well) and were promised the best water possible. Now some 6 months later, we still find the water smells. We called in the company, and the rep said to take the anode rod out of the hot water tank, and that would solve our problem. He said it isnt a sulphur smell. He said that the rod is for hard water, and since we have soft water, we do not need it.: Well, we arent sure what the purpose of this rod is, and would like to know, and would also like to know if this rod could be the problem.: Appreciate your assistance. Thank youThe purpose of on anode rod is to attract most minerals in the water to the anode rod and away from the heater elements. Anode rods come made in two different materials. In some rare cases the minerals in the water can react with the standard anode rod made of magnesiam(sp) and produce a sulfur like smell in the water. The mfg. should offer the other type to replace it. You should use an anode rod at all times to give your heater a much longer life and the elements as well. If you do not have the ceiling height to replace a solid anode rod iit is available in a hotdog style link chain. If you have any problem in your local area obtaining a supplier for the other type of anode just e-mail at [email protected] and I will get you a quote.

Participant

Thank you for your response to the Anode Rod in our Gaz hot water heater. I am not convinced that that is actually our biggest problem at this point.We have started to notice tiny black specs coming out of the water taps in the Bathroom and Tub again.This was the original reason we installed the mechanism to inject air into the water, that goes into a holding tank (to ozidize the sulphur), and then have the water goes into the softener. All was fine for 6 months, and the problem has returned, that is why I doubt if the problem is with the anode rod at this point in time. I could be wrong of course, but we were told that the injection of air would solve the problem.Does this mean it could be defective, or is it really a problem with the water tank??Thanks for your help, we appreciate it.Do you think the

Participant

Just checking to see if anyone knows what the black specks are that are coming out of my taps.Is it also the Anode rod, or is it Oxidized Sulphur. 6 Months ago, we had an Iron and sulphur machine installed, because of this same problem.About 3 months ago, it started up again. Could it have been the Anode rod all along?? We want to change it, which is better, aluminum, or stainless steel??? Not sure what type is in it at present. It is a Rheem 40 gal gas water tank.Thanks for your help.

Participant

: Thank you Kerry for your response to the Anode Rod in our Gaz hot water heater. I am not completely convinced that that is actually our biggest problem at this point. I am looking into this now, however:: We have started to notice tiny black specs coming out of the water taps in the Bathroom and Tub again.: This was the original reason we installed the mechanism to inject air into the water, that goes into a holding tank (to ozidize the sulphur), and then have the water goes into the softener. All was fine for 6 months, and the problem has returned, that is why I doubt if the problem is with the anode rod at this point in time. I could be wrong of course, but we were told that the injection of air would solve the problem.: Does this mean it could be defective, or is it really a problem with the water tank??: Thanks for your help, we appreciate it.: Do you think the

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This