CPVC Pipe

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I have built several homes using CPVC pipe rather than copper. I have had no problems with this pipe. Our big problem in south central Texas has been an epidemic of slab leaks with copper. The problem occurs of course when steel has come in contact with the copper and left during construction. I am now building a large expensive home and plan on using CPVC again. However, I am still not 100 % convinced that CPVC is the material to use. When asking plumbers why they always use copper there answer is that they use copper because they always have. On top of that everywhere I look I see that type m rather than type L is being used. What are your opinions or recommendations?Dave Powers

Participant

Having repaired many CPVC systems the have had fitting crack due to age or stress, I also am not in favor of plastic, although many new homes are using it due to the lesser cost and the fact that it does not require a trained person to cut and glue it together. As far as copper underslab goes, you can use type K, install it in a foam insulation, or slide a plastic sleeve over it. The majority of leaks in this area are from a poor installation where the plumber kinks the tube when he transitions to the vertical and the hot/cold expansion/contraction flexs it and causes a crack.: I have built several homes using CPVC pipe rather than copper. I have had no problems with this pipe. Our big problem in south central Texas has been an epidemic of slab leaks with copper. The problem occurs of course when steel has come in contact with the copper and left during construction. I am now building a large expensive home and plan on using CPVC again. However, I am still not 100 % convinced that CPVC is the material to use. When asking plumbers why they always use copper there answer is that they use copper because they always have. On top of that everywhere I look I see that type m rather than type L is being used. What are your opinions or recommendations?: Dave Powers

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This