Well pump not pumping to yield

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Well pump not pumping to yield

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I apologize for the long post, but this has been a long story.I have installed a 5 GPM well pump with a pressure tank, switch (30/50#), etc. connected only to a yard hydrant. Well is 385 deep, 1 GPM, with some 300 ft of head. When the hydrant valve is opened to let water out at a rate greater than 1 GPM, all is well until the pressure gets down to 30 PSI and the pump kicks in. At this point, there is an immediate loss of prime on the pump, and pressure goes to 0#. When the valve is closed, the pump recovers,and pressure is seen at the pressure tank gauge at 30 # in about 30 seconds.If, however, the hydrant valve is opened only to allow a flow no greater than 1 GPM, the pump will kick in when the tank is drained, and continue pumping, with no loss of pressure. Pressure stays a constant 30#.The plumber wants to put a restriction in the line, but I do not see this as a realistic alternative. The well driller who drilled the well told me that it has a 240, 4 sleeve in it, but was not sure whether or not it was connected to the (60) well casing, or whether the sleeve is sitting on the bottom. I suspect the former.To add another bit of information, I must have left the cap off or ajar a couple of weeks ago to allow something to get in it,as the water which I had been pumping had that typical decomposition odor to it for some days.Can anyone suggest as to why the pump can only pump this limited volume? Do you think that the first place to look is at the bottom of the well at this point? The driller has a camera which he can send down to check it out , at $90/hour.Thanks for your thoughts on this.Mark

Participant

: I apologize for the long post, but this has been a long story.: I have installed a 5 GPM well pump with a pressure tank, switch (30/50#), etc. connected only to a yard hydrant. Well is 385 deep, 1 GPM, with some 300 ft of head. : : When the hydrant valve is opened to let water out at a rate greater than 1 GPM, all is well until the pressure gets down to 30 PSI and the pump kicks in. At this point, there is an immediate loss of prime on the pump, and pressure goes to 0#. When the valve is closed, the pump recovers,and pressure is seen at the pressure tank gauge at 30 # in about 30 seconds.: If, however, the hydrant valve is opened only to allow a flow no greater than 1 GPM, the pump will kick in when the tank is drained, and continue pumping, with no loss of pressure. Pressure stays a constant 30#.: The plumber wants to put a restriction in the line, but I do not see this as a realistic alternative. The well driller who drilled the well told me that it has a 240, 4 sleeve in it, but was not sure whether or not it was connected to the (60) well casing, or whether the sleeve is sitting on the bottom. I suspect the former.: To add another bit of information, I must have left the cap off or ajar a couple of weeks ago to allow something to get in it,as the water which I had been pumping had that typical decomposition odor to it for some days.: Can anyone suggest as to why the pump can only pump this limited volume? Do you think that the first place to look is at the bottom of the well at this point? The driller has a camera which he can send down to check it out , at $90/hour.: Thanks for your thoughts on this.: Markyou will need to describe what type of pump were talking about. -shallow well pump set up –two pipe jet deep well set up –submersible pump each would have its own possible problemswithout this information, it sounds like you are simply over pumping the water level of the well. a deep well jet or submersible would need to be deeper in the well. also could be a bad joint leaking air in when pump really starts pulling,

Participant

I hope this clarifies the setupThe pump is a jet type, Sand Hog, with Franklin motor. It is a single pipe. Its sitting at about 370 down.Another detail which I didnt initially include is that this setup was initially performing much better, at least 2 1/2 GPM.Thanks again.

Participant

: I hope this clarifies the setup: The pump is a jet type, Sand Hog, with Franklin motor. It is a single pipe. Its sitting at about 370 down.: Another detail which I didnt initially include is that this setup was initially performing much better, at least 2 1/2 GPM.: Thanks again.I dont beleive Im going to much help on this. the deep well one pipe jet pumps Im familar with would be hard to set at that depth without tearing up the packings on the way down. pumping at that depth we would use a submersible pump.

Participant

The next try in solving this was to drop the pressure down to 24lbs in the bladder. To do so, I had to drain the tank. But lo and behold, when I opened the field hydrant full tilt, the setup began pumping at a steady 10gpm. I have no explanation why the problem seemingly went away by itself. BTW, the pump is a submersible, not a jet.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This