Electric Water Heater Life Expectancy

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Electric Water Heater Life Expectancy

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I have a Sears electric water heater (a low boy that fits under the kitchen counter).How long should I expect this to last?By the way, the guy who installed it forgot to insert the secondary anode (for additional corrosion protection), but the unit has been providing hot water since 1990 nonetheless. Also, I drain the unit just about every year except when I forget (I drained it 7 times in 9 years).I want to know when I should replace the unit since it is under the kitchen sink on the second floor without any leak protection underneath.Many thanks,Michael

Participant

: I have a Sears electric water heater (a low : boy that fits under the kitchen counter).: How long should I expect this to last?: By the way, the guy who installed it forgot to insert the secondary anode (for additional corrosion protection), but the : unit has been providing hot water since 1990 : nonetheless. Also, I drain the unit just about every year except when I forget (I drained it 7 times in 9 years).: I want to know when I should replace the unit : since it is under the kitchen sink on the second floor without any leak protection underneath.: Many thanks,: Michaelthere is no way to give a accurate answer on this question. there are to many variables. in my area hot water heaters used to last 35 -40 years, the water supply was changed in 1990 and now the norm seems like its going to be 5 to 9 years. I have gone from replaceing a few heaters a year to a couple a day. In your case with no pan protection, Id say pull it out and get one installed correctly. just fyi–we maintain a few hunderd seasonal houses. the heaters in these houses are drain at least once a year(sometimes more)and it has had no bearing on the life of heaters. at least check your water damage insurance and see if it would cover the potential leak damage.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This