Buy Expansion Unit or Not

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Buy Expansion Unit or Not

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Please help. I just bought a house that is covered under Home Warrenty. My Hot water heater was leaking, a called the home warrenty company and they sent out a local plumber. The plumber replaced my water heater with a new one. This new water heater leaks. I called the plumber and they came out and placed a can under the pipe that runs down the side of the tank to see if it was leaking. This pipe and valve are from the old system. Needless to say it is. When I called the plumber to see when he was going to fix the new heater he now tells me that I need an expansion tank and will have to pay for this myself. Please explain to me if my old tank did not have an expansion tank why would they replace it with one that would need one.Please help I am terrible confused.

Participant

: Please help. I just bought a house that is covered under Home Warrenty. My Hot water heater was leaking, a called the home warrenty company and they sent out a local plumber. The plumber replaced my water heater with a new one. This new water heater leaks. I called the plumber and they came out and placed a can under the pipe that runs down the side of the tank to see if it was leaking. This pipe and valve are from the old system. Needless to say it is. When I called the plumber to see when he was going to fix the new heater he now tells me that I need an expansion tank and will have to pay for this myself. Please explain to me if my old tank did not have an expansion tank why would they replace it with one that would need one.: Please help I am terrible confused.sounds like youre talking about the relief valve(pop-off). I cant imagine a qualified plumber putting in a new heater and using the old relief valve, thats just not safe or good workmanship. bear in mind, water expands as it is heated, your new heater has fresh clean heating elements and probably heats a little faster than the old one causing the extra pressure to leak out of the relief line. an expansion tank would be justified. they dont cost much and are required by plumbing code in many areas.

Participant

Joni I would agree with you. if nothing has been changed but the new heater, I would not jump to the conclusion you need a expansion tank. You may only have a bad T&P valve. Try another plumber the other one is far from a professional, no pro re-uses a T&P on a new installation.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This