Water Softeners with Septic Systems

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Water Softeners with Septic Systems

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Are there problems using conventional water softeners (salt charged)when the house is on a septic system? Will all that salt cause a problem for te septic system? The environment? Are there alternative water softening strategies that couldl be employed?

Participant

A Softener with a timer that regenerates even if you are not using it is a bad idea for septic systems. Imagine all the water running through your septic treatment system that is unnecessary with a softener that is not of the demand type. A demand type softener regenerates only when it is needed based on your family’s usage. You should upgrade your system if you have an old timer type control head on a septic system. Check out this web site for answers to your septic questions. http://www.septicprotector.com They suggest using a separate septic system built just for your softener. The alternative to a softener would be some of the newer technologies I don’t have any tried and true answers for you when it comes to new technology. Softeners have been around for quite some time and I know of nothing used more or that works as well for the application of removing hardness. There are products that will reduce scale buildup but these products are not classified as water softeners.

Respectfully David Walling

Participant

The salt in the waste of the softener will not be detrimental to your septic system. In fact, it has been proven to improve the bacterial action in the septic system. Regarding the amount of water going to the septic tank, that would depend upon how large your septic tank is. Obviously, if it is too small then the additional waste from the softener could be a problem. You should check with your septic system supplier to find out if the amount of water from the softener will be a problem for your system. If it is you can redirect the softener waste to a dry well or to an area on the surface that will not be affected by the salt content. Ion exchange water softeners are the only proven technology to soften water.

Participant

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5240/Septic_Tanks.html

There are several links here to septic tank pages. There is info regarding the sodium influence in plugging up septic systems. It sure doesn’t seem like “Chicken Little” rantings to me but I want the oppinion of the professionals lurking here. Also, can anyone recommned a good source of information regarding the design and construction of septic systems?

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This