DRAIN PIPING REPAIR

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives DRAIN PIPING REPAIR

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      hamish macgregor

I HAVE 30-40 YEAR OLD BLACK PLASTIC 4 PIPE (ORANGEBURG) USED FOR STORM DRAIN REMOVAL OF WATER FROM HOUSE GUTTER TO 2FT DEPTH IN GROUND OUT TO A DRY WELL. WE BROKE 2-3 EGG-SIZED HOLES IN THE PIPE WHILE MOVING TREES AND INSTALLING A DECK.IT IS NOW IMPRACTICAL TO PUT IN NEW PIPE. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO REPAIR PATCH ETC THIS PIPE. THANKS.

HAIG

Oragneburg is not plastic, it is rolled up tar paper. There is no good way to patch it since it is usually out of round and the outside diameter is unique. And if you find a compression coupling that will fit, it will squash the pipe when you tighten it. : I HAVE 30-40 YEAR OLD BLACK PLASTIC 4 PIPE (ORANGEBURG) USED FOR STORM DRAIN REMOVAL OF WATER FROM HOUSE GUTTER TO 2FT DEPTH IN GROUND OUT TO A DRY WELL. WE BROKE 2-3 EGG-SIZED HOLES IN THE PIPE WHILE MOVING TREES AND INSTALLING A DECK.IT IS NOW IMPRACTICAL TO PUT IN NEW PIPE. : WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO REPAIR PATCH ETC THIS PIPE. THANKS.

HAIG

: I HAVE 30-40 YEAR OLD BLACK PLASTIC 4 PIPE (ORANGEBURG) USED FOR STORM DRAIN REMOVAL OF WATER FROM HOUSE GUTTER TO 2FT DEPTH IN GROUND OUT TO A DRY WELL. WE BROKE 2-3 EGG-SIZED HOLES IN THE PIPE WHILE MOVING TREES AND INSTALLING A DECK.IT IS NOW IMPRACTICAL TO PUT IN NEW PIPE. : WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO REPAIR PATCH ETC THIS PIPE. THANKS.For a temporary repair that can last only 20 yrs depending on the location of these holes of course.. You can use cotton impregnated Mebrane and Either JR grance material for water proofing( fantastic stuff) or for a cheaper job Use Flashing cement (Roofers) and 15# felt. Several layers NOT to exceed 4 In reality there is NOTHING called tar paper it is either Ruberoid, Felt, Cotton impregnated Membrane, Hair felt,Fiberglass impregnated menmbrane, torch down., Kopers , Tamaco ETC. Personally I would use the cottom inpregnated membrane if I couldnt locate the WR Grace material. This cotton felt you can get in a roll 6 wide 50 Ft long. By using flashing cement you maybe able to forget the primmer. Clean and dry the pipe ally a thin layer of flashing cement then a layer of membrane. Continue this up to 3 layers.. Go to ANY decent roofing supply. I would have suggest Coal tar enamel BUT it requires skill to apply this especially when it is heated to over 400 Degrees. Most plumbers think of replacement only. I have read on here about LEAD piping not being able to be repaired. YOU can repair this Orangeburg yourself OR get a roofer Specializing in water proofing. Good luck and YES IT CAN BE REPAIRED

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This