popping waterheater

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing popping waterheater

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Thank you for your reply. I recently put in a water softner to take care of the hardwater we have. What can I do about the water heater? Can it be fixed?

Participant

Mssr. Canderson: All manner of things can be fixed including your water heater…please tell us what the problem is ?
          Akmed

Participant

Here is the previous information that I gave. Your reply is most appreciated. Merry Christmas.

Canderson wrote on 21 December 2000 at 03:22 PM:
            3 year old hotwater heater is popping loudly. Suggestions to fix it or does it need replacing? Did a vinegar rinse already. Thank you.

fourth year wrote on 21 December 2000 at 03:47 PM:
            It is popping because there are rust or calcium nodes on the flue pipe through the heater. Water gets into the node and the heat from the exhaust gases turns them to steam. The bang is the steam changing back to water when pressure forces it out of the node. Vinegr will not cure it and anything stronger may damage the tank or you.

Canderson wrote on 22 December 2000 at 12:58 AM:
            Thank you for your reply. I recently put in a water softner to take care of the hardwater we have. What can I do about the water heater? Can it be fixed?

Participant

If I was not sure before I am now, 4th year needs a 5th year.
              The popping sounds you are hearing is directly related to the sediment build up at the bottom of your water heater.
              It needs to be drained and the sediment needs to be removed.
              Good Luck,
              Bill
              The Local Plumber
              Tustin, California http://www.TheLocalPlumber.com

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This