Banging Pipes

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Banging Pipes

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Any ideas why pipes would make terribly loud knocking noises as the water is draining from the second floor of a home? I have been told it may be the way the drain is vented. The noise is located right along the floor of the second floor. Another oddity is that the knocking occurs usually when the bathroom sink drain but no noise when the bathtub drains. Any suggestions on how to better isolate the problem and how to fix it would be much appreciated. The noise drives me crazy. Thanks much!

Participant

The usual cause of banging noise is a quickly flowing column of water striking a sharp turn or end in a piping system. An experienced plumber knows how to install the systems so they do not make this noise. This is not a repair, but a redo of the vent and stack piping.

Participant

Thanks for your response. How extensive of a job are we talking? Sounds very involved to my inexperienced mind. This home is only 10 years old and my hunch that the builder used an inexperienced plumber during construction may be correct. Could further damage occur if the problem is not addressed? (other than me losing my sanity?) Also, if you could offer any guidance on how to chose a plumber to fix this problem would be much appreciated. Bear in mind I am a wife with a husband that is not great with home repair matters so I will be interacting with the plumber.

quote:

Originally posted by Harold Kestenholz:
            The usual cause of banging noise is a quickly flowing column of water striking a sharp turn or end in a piping system. An experienced plumber knows how to install the systems so they do not make this noise. This is not a repair, but a redo of the vent and stack piping.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This