copper pipe pin hole leaks

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives copper pipe pin hole leaks

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

i am trying to get all the information i can on pin hole leaks in copper piping, if you have a problem with these leaks or have information with these leaks, please e mail me. thank you za 07.24.99

Participant

: i am trying to get all the information i can on pin hole leaks in copper piping, if you have a problem with these leaks or have information with these leaks, please e mail me. thank you za 07.24.99

Participant

: : i am trying to get all the information i can on pin hole leaks in copper piping, if you have a problem with these leaks or have information with these leaks, please e mail me. thank you za 07.24.99I CUT MY PIPE WHERE THE PIN HOLE WAS AND INSTALLED A COUPLIN, WORKED GREATTHOMAS WAYNE [email protected]

Participant

: i am trying to get all the information i can on pin hole leaks in copper piping, if you have a problem with these leaks or have information with these leaks, please e mail me. thank you za 07.24.99If you have pin holes in copper CHECK the velocity (FPS) of the water going through this piping especially on hot domnestic water lines. Copper is one of the best materials for conveying water BUT like any other product Coper has to be properly sized and properly installed. A lot of so called plumbers do not bother to ream the tubing ends and thus creating turbulence. This causes EROSION of the tubing. Before you blame the copper check your pressure and your tubing size. Some Lazy good for nothings who dabble in plumbing use GARBAGE self cleaning flux This crap normally has Acid which is the cleaning agent. If the lines are not properly flushed out OR during the soldering process flux residue is left in this piping system this ACID continues to eat away at the base metal. When I install copper tubing (Always L above ground) Never in over 25 years has any of my victims (clients) ever complained of any copper product failure. Unless you have a really strange water supply copper should last and last. If your water is what caused this Marvelous probuct to fail. I wonder what your intestines look like? Good luck be happy Sylvan

Participant

: i am trying to get all the information i can on pin hole leaks in copper piping, if you have a problem with these leaks or have information with these leaks, please e mail me. thank you za 07.24.99I have had two pin hole leaks in apx. 2-3 years. My house is apx 20 yrs old. Both leaks occured on 90 deg bends on the main pipe between the city supply and my water softner. Check your PH to make sure your water is not acidic ( > 7). My water is not acidic, but I still have the problem.Could also be an electrolysis problem. A less reactive metal coming in contact with your copper pipe can cause your copper to lose electrons, become ionized and bond with impurities in the water. This copper is lost forever from the inside of your pipe. Incidently the copper can be lost from anywhere in the plumbing system. The loss of copper does not have to be local to the dissimilar metal junction. The copper shows up in the bottom of your sinks as green stains. I did notice it beginning to stain the cup my kids use for brushig their teeth. They like to keep it filled in case they need a drink during the night. Typically it would not get emptied until the following night. This gave plenty of time for the water to evaporate slightly and depositing copper on the sides and bottom of the white cup. Over 6 months to a year of use the cup did have pale green stains in it although the sink did not.I do see some green staining mainly in my older sinks that have original faucets. I dont see any staining in my toilets or a sink I installed about 3 years ago. I am starting to wonder if the faucets in these older sinks may contain a dissimilar metal that is leading to my problem. There is no way that I know of to actually isolate the source of electrolysis.I have been looking into this problem for the last couple months ever since I had my second leak. I have yet to find the ultimate solution. I have seen lots of posts by Bud of Suncoast plumbing tauting their copper Knight Product http://www.copperknight.com which is suppost to reduce the problem. It uses the sacrificial anode concept so the metal anode in the product gives up its electrons rather than your copper pipe thus preserving your pipe. I dont know if it works. At $400-500 it seems kind of expensive. It is the only product I have found that is supposed to solve electrolysis problems. If your water is acidic than an acid neutralizer should help.Here are some links I have come across.http://www.awqinc.com/ph.htm http://www.suburbia.net/~mickgg/blue-green.htm http://web.raex.com/~colombo/pipe.htm http://www.copperknight.com/prod.htmlThats all I know. Let me know if you find a solution to your problem.Paul

Participant

: i am trying to get all the information i can on pin hole leaks in copper piping, if you have a problem with these leaks or have information with these leaks, please e mail me. thank you za 07.24.99

Participant

I live in a 31 year old house that has just experienced its first pin hole leak in a straight section of the cold water line inside the wall adjacent to an upstairs bathroom. Fortunately, we were home when it started and damage was limited. Many of my neighbors have had similar problems, this is the first for me. The hole is still in the wall awaiting the insurance adjuster to let us know what is covered. We are considering replacing all of the pipe behind the damaged wall before repairing the drywall.I am very interested in what information you have come across and any recommendations you may have for a newcomer to the game.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This