Moen Cartridge Faucet Problems?

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing Moen Cartridge Faucet Problems?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

We just brought home a new Moen faucet to match the one we liked in the guest bathroom of our new home. The installation instruction have a warning about bodily or water damage resulting from an improperly installed cartridge. What’s the worst thing that can happen? If we read too much into it we feel like returning the thing and replacing the other one as well.

Thanks for your experience. Please email me directly at [email protected]

Participant

There are about two ways you can screw it up. The first is to not reinstall the retainer clip. If that is not put back, then the cartidge can come out like a little rocket and that would not feel good besides flooding the house. The other thing is to install it backwards, which is not as serious as it sounds. It merely means that the hot water will come out of the right side and the cold water on the left. To cure that you take the handle off, DO NOT REMOVE THE CARTRIDGE, (that is in capitals because I have had customers work for hours trying to change it by removing and rotating the cartridge), and turn the stem half way around, and reinstall the handle.

Participant

Thanks Fourth Year:

That part about the rocket is what concerns me. We’ll take a look at the retainer clip to see if it’s something we can trust with our lives.

TandJ

Participant

The warning with the faucet packaging serves the same purpose as the “HOT” warning on a coffee cup. To avoid law suits.

I have been installing MOEN faucets for nearly 30 years. It is an excellent faucet that should last many many years.

Participant

Tandj, these Moen cartridges are easily replaced. Moen has done a great job on the design and they are user friendly for anyone with any mechanical ability. Just put the retaining clip in securely and it’ll work safely.

Participant

I used one of the first Moen faucets in the Chicago area and have stuck with them since then. You do not have to worry about the retainer clip failing. You just have to be sure you slide it back in place before turning on the water.

Participant

out on a call to replace an old moen cartridge and found that the U-clip was not there! It never leaked or shot out because of the build up of calcium etc. Those Moen faucets work good without all the parts sometimes. (but dont try it at home)

Participant

As an apprentice we saw the 1st Moen faucets to be used in NYC in 1969.

The only problem with Moen was they had a severe problem with hot and cold water mixing through a closed faucet. They used to make a good Quality product for the price I think they on the right track again.

Participant

1969? Boy were you behind the times. I installed one of the first Moen Dial-cets in my home in Chicago in about 1959.

Participant

Wow this proves your out of your mind HELPER

I said I saw it BUT I would NEVER install one except possibly in low income one family housing like you must live in.

I happen to like Symmons, Bradley,
                          wolverine, Chicago and Speakman.

You being a helper have the home center mentality as you never bothered to learn about the problems the moen faucet had as far as mixing hot and cold water through a CLOSED Valve.

I would again STRONGLY suggest “Helper” you get out of this trade as your never ever going to be anything but coffee boy.

LUCKY your union in Chicago does cover up for stumblebums and someday LAD YOU can be a shop steward as YOU certainly will never be a journeyman to be TRUSTED to go out alone.

Why not join UNTALENTED John and dig ditches?

Participant

Hey helper: If you are installing faucets since 1959, then you should be close to retirement, or at least more than just a helper. I guess either you were comatose for a few years, or just been through a lot of trades since you never did well in any of them. Why should plumbing be different? Maybe John can give you a shovel and teach you something you may actually be able to handle intellectually.

The Friendly Chemist

Participant

Richard and Sylvan:
                              If I used the name 65 year old LMP, (which I could, or IBM systems programmer/analyst, which I was for a few years), I would never get the reaction from you that “fourth year” does. Since I enjoy baiting you guys, I liked fourth year. But now I may have to think of a new Avitar.

Participant

quote:

Originally posted by fourth year:
                                Richard and Sylvan:
                                If I used the name 65 year old LMP, (which I could, or IBM systems programmer/analyst, which I was for a few years), I would never get the reaction from you that “fourth year” does. Since I enjoy baiting you guys, I liked fourth year. But now I may have to think of a new Avitar.

You seem like a GREAT GUY why dont you pick another feld to dabble in?

If you really want NO competition GO in Johns field as NO formal education is needed and as a HELPER you SURE know a lot more then Ditch Digger John will ever know

Participant

Why would I want to change careers? I have been in this one since before you were born. I took a hiatus to go to work with IBM systems when they had a need that they needed me to fill.

Participant

I may seem like a great guy, and I am, but you sir come across as a pompus ass, even though you also may in fact be a nice guy.

Participant

TSB pompous, in case any literati are watching

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This