Drain over floor joist

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Drain over floor joist

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I am replacing an existing shower-only with a whirlpool tub and the drain happens to line up directly over a floor joist. The house is 115 years old and the floor joists are about 12 deep spaced at 10-12 c/c (they dont build em like that anymore!), so I think that it will probably be ok to cut out a portion of the joist. It sure would be nice not to have to do that, though. Is there a way around it?

Participant

: I am replacing an existing shower-only with a whirlpool tub and the drain happens to line up directly over a floor joist. The house is 115 years old and the floor joists are about 12 deep spaced at 10-12 c/c (they dont build em like that anymore!), so I think that it will probably be ok to cut out a portion of the joist. It sure would be nice not to have to do that, though. Is there a way around it?you always jack the tub up. what part of the drain are you referring to? you shouldnt have to notch over 2 deep and from what you describe, I cant see where that would hurt.

Participant

Im not sure what you mean by jack the tub up. The tub will placed in a bed of cement for support, but this will raise the tub only about an inch or so. Is there something else I should do? I am referring to the part of the drain directly below the drain hole in the tub.: : I am replacing an existing shower-only with a whirlpool tub and the drain happens to line up directly over a floor joist. The house is 115 years old and the floor joists are about 12 deep spaced at 10-12 c/c (they dont build em like that anymore!), so I think that it will probably be ok to cut out a portion of the joist. It sure would be nice not to have to do that, though. Is there a way around it?: you always jack the tub up. what part of the drain : are you referring to? you shouldnt have to notch : over 2 deep and from what you describe, I cant : see where that would hurt.

Participant

You only have to cut out enough so that the drain elbow will fit. You can then install the P-trap to the side of the joist and put an offset in the overflow pipe to connect to the tee.: I am replacing an existing shower-only with a whirlpool tub and the drain happens to line up directly over a floor joist. The house is 115 years old and the floor joists are about 12 deep spaced at 10-12 c/c (they dont build em like that anymore!), so I think that it will probably be ok to cut out a portion of the joist. It sure would be nice not to have to do that, though. Is there a way around it?

Participant

: Im not sure what you mean by jack the tub up. The tub will placed in a bed of cement for support, but this will raise the tub only about an inch or so. Is there something else I should do? I am referring to the part of the drain directly below the drain hole in the tub.: : : I am replacing an existing shower-only with a whirlpool tub and the drain happens to line up directly over a floor joist. The house is 115 years old and the floor joists are about 12 deep spaced at 10-12 c/c (they dont build em like that anymore!), so I think that it will probably be ok to cut out a portion of the joist. It sure would be nice not to have to do that, though. Is there a way around it?: : you always jack the tub up. what part of the drain : : are you referring to? you shouldnt have to notch : : over 2 deep and from what you describe, I cant : : see where that would hurt. by jacking up I meant raiseing the level of what every you are sitting in on. the hole in the tub will be where the drain ell goes not the trap etc this should require very little notching

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This