Slow kitchen drain

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Slow kitchen drain

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Our kitchen sink runs slow and backs up, we cant hardly run the dish washer because the backs up in the sink. We had a plumber over and he tried clearing the drain but said there was something blocking the pipe. As our house is on a cement slab, no crawl space, he said he would have to jackhammer the floor to get to the trouble. Should I get a second opinion, or is this the only option?

Participant

: Our kitchen sink runs slow and backs up, we cant hardly run the dish washer because the backs up in the sink. We had a plumber over and he tried clearing the drain but said there was something blocking the pipe. As our house is on a cement slab, no crawl space, he said he would have to jackhammer the floor to get to the trouble. Should I get a second opinion, or is this the only option?Is this a new house-maybe something got in during construction(like cement)( is house under warrenty) or did the drain work before and has recently started backing up. A pipeline camera to see whats blocking line would help you. Its possible but unlikely that something got into line under normal use that couldnt be cleared with a sewer rod. what kind of pipe are we dealing with, plastic or iron? Ive seen iron pipe drain rust inside enough to cause a hard stoppage.

Participant

Roger:Of course theres something blocking the pipe, thats why you have a problem!! Definitely get a second opinion. I could tell you much better if you got me more information. How long did the first plumber work and how much did he charge? The answer to these questions will speak volumes about his motivation. The problem youre describing should be very simple. On average, the job takes about 30 minutes & we charge $40. If your plumber was too far away from those numbers I might get real suspicious. It is not at all uncommon to find dishonesty & incompetence in our business.Get your phone book out & look up plumbers, DRAIN & SEWER CLEANING should be a subheading. Call several drain cleaning companies (not plumbers)& describe your problem. Look for someone friendly & helpful. Describe your experience with the first plumber and tell them you want a second opinion. Because the average job is so simple, a talented drain cleaner can very quickly (within 30 minutes)tell you if there are complications. If there are & the second opinion sounds close to the first perhaps you do have a serious problem which will require big time and $$$$$$$.I would NEVER accept that explanation from a total stranger who stood to profit by convincing you the work needs to be done. If you would like more detail & advice e-mail me at [email protected], Id be glad to help.: Our kitchen sink runs slow and backs up, we cant hardly run the dish washer because the backs up in the sink. We had a plumber over and he tried clearing the drain but said there was something blocking the pipe. As our house is on a cement slab, no crawl space, he said he would have to jackhammer the floor to get to the trouble. Should I get a second opinion, or is this the only option?

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This