Shower Pan or Plumbing Leak

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Shower Pan or Plumbing Leak

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Water is leaking under our bathroom floor from use of our shower. We filled the pan full of water with a garden hose (to eliminate the possibility of it being a leak in the plumbing) and let it sit a few days. When checking under the house we found no traces of water. We then drained the pan and immediately ran water from the shower for approx. 20 minutes. After running the shower we went under the house and found water leaking through the subfloor around a nail. The leak appears to be below the bathroom floor in front of the shower (approx. 3 feet from the drain)instead of beneath the shower floor. There are no signs of water around the drain and there are no signs of water in the three rooms adjoing the walls of the shower. I would like to be sure of the problem before I pay someone to do extensive work. I would hate to tear up the ceramic tile shower and replace the pan to find out it was a problem with the plumbing in the wall, etc. We also removed the metal plates from around the shower control and nozzle to look for any signs of water running behind the wall with no success. Any suggestions on how to pinpoint the problem?

Participant

Valerie, Remove the shower rose (outlet spray) and cap off the pipe. Turn on the water and pressurise the shower piping. If there is a leak in the water pipework between the faucets and the outlet , it will show a leak. It could also be leaking from a cracked pipe between the shower pan outlet and the sewer pipework. If you have tested the shower pan correctly the leak is in the pipework.

Participant

Valerie, I forgot to add that it may be easier and cheaper in the long run to use your local plumber.

Participant

Also, remove the handle and flanges from taps, turn on the taps, and using a torch. Make sure that water is not leaking from the body washer where the tap screws into the combination.DISCLAIMERAll advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Participant

: Water is leaking under our bathroom floor from use of our shower. We filled the pan full of water with a garden hose (to eliminate the possibility of it being a leak in the plumbing) and let it sit a few days. When checking under the house we found no traces of water. We then drained the pan and immediately ran water from the shower for approx. 20 minutes. After running the shower we went under the house and found water leaking through the subfloor around a nail. The leak appears to be below the bathroom floor in front of the shower (approx. 3 feet from the drain)instead of beneath the shower floor. There are no signs of water around the drain and there are no signs of water in the three rooms adjoing the walls of the shower. I would like to be sure of the problem before I pay someone to do extensive work. I would hate to tear up the ceramic tile shower and replace the pan to find out it was a problem with the plumbing in the wall, etc. We also removed the metal plates from around the shower control and nozzle to look for any signs of water running behind the wall with no success. Any suggestions on how to pinpoint the problem? TRY IT AGAIN ONLY THIS TIME WHEN YOU DRAIN THE WATER DO NOT IMMEDIATLEY RUN ANY MORE WATER. HAVE SOMEONE GET COMFORTABLE DOWNSTAIRS AND LOOK FOR TRACES OF WATER WHILE OR RIGHT AFTER THE WATER IS DRAINED. YOU WANT TO FIRST DETERMINE IF YOU HAVE A WATER SUPPLY OR DRAINAGE PROBLEM-IF ITS NOT A DRAINAGE ISSUE THE FIRST PLACE TO LOOK IS BEHIND THE CONTROL VALVE HANDLE (S) COVER PLATE IF ITS ACCESSIBLE FOR YOU

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This