8 sided cleanout heads

Home Forums Public Forums General Plumbing 8 sided cleanout heads

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I have a house built in the early 60’s and it is plumbed with copper. Several of the cleanouts have an 8-sided head on them. I’m having a tough time opening these cleanouts because my pipe or crescent wrench can only snug up to two or three sides, resulting in a tendancy to round off the corners. Does anyone know of a special 8-pointed wrench or socket I could get to remove these things? Any tips for removing a stubborn cleanout in copper? The head on the 3″ main is 1.5″ in diameter.

Thanks,
        bobcat23

Participant

The right tool for this job sounds like an 18″ or 24″ pipe wrench, a heavy hammer and sometimes even an acetylene torch with a fairly large tip on it.
          Now one of the reasons plumbers call themselves plumbers is the amount of right tools they have for the job and the experience to use them.
          I am only guessing here, but something tells me that if I awoke this morning and decided to do what you do every day in and out, I may have a problem too.
          Do what you know and save the hard stuff for those that do it every day.
          Good Luck,
          Bill
          The Local Plumber
          Tustin, California http://www.TheLocalPlumber.com

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This