Installing cleanout to underground cast iron pipe

Home Forums Archives Old Bulletin Board Archives Installing cleanout to underground cast iron pipe

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I am installing a cleanout to an existing cast iron sewer line that is underground. I am wondering if I use a cast iron pipe snapper to break the pipe is there going to be enough give in the pipe, since it is underground, for the pipe to snap correctly? I thought maybe I might have to break the pipe with a hammer first or something. Am I way off?

Participant

: I am installing a cleanout to an existing cast iron sewer line that is underground. I am wondering if I use a cast iron pipe snapper to break the pipe is there going to be enough give in the pipe, since it is underground, for the pipe to snap correctly? I thought maybe I might have to break the pipe with a hammer first or something. Am I way off?yes it will work. usually Ill cut in about the center of what I want to take out and try to place the cutter chain at an angle(crooked), after you cut (square)at the points you want out,the angle cut will allow the pieces to either push down or pull up.

Participant

Generally the pipe will snap clean. Be sure to clean the built-up & hardened dirt/rust completely off the existing pipe before snapping. This is done by firmly tapping the pipe with a hammer around entire circumfrence to be snapped & chunks of dirt/rust will fall off exposing clean pipe. Depending on overall condition of cast iron pipe, they will usually snap reasonably clean. If break is jagged use a crescent wrench to nibble pieces off pipe until you have a good, straight, cut to connect onto. If pipe is so old or weak that first attempt to snap crushes pipe, get a Milwaukee saw and cut both ends.I am installing a cleanout to an existing cast iron sewer line that is underground. I am wondering if I use a cast iron pipe snapper to break the pipe is there going to be enough give in the pipe, since it is underground, for the pipe to snap correctly? I thought maybe I might have to break the pipe with a hammer first or something. Am I way off?

Participant

: I am installing a cleanout to an existing cast iron sewer line that is underground. I am wondering if I use a cast iron pipe snapper to break the pipe is there going to be enough give in the pipe, since it is underground, for the pipe to snap correctly? I thought maybe I might have to break the pipe with a hammer first or something. Am I way off?Dont, Dont, Dont, break it first with a hammer, it will split alone the lenth of the pipe.DISCLAIMERAll advice is given with-out seeing the job, and hence all advice MUST be taken as advice with limited knowledge on the exact situation. NO responsibility can or will be taken. And yes, I am a licensed plumber with my own business in Brisbane Australia

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This