sewer gas

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

We have just noticed a strong sewer odor coming from our basement. I am convinced it is sewer gas. The problem is, it is difficult to pinpoint exactly where the smell is coming from. None of the drains smell and there does not appear to be any leaks. Is sewer gas usually this difficult to trace? It sometimes overcomes our entire 3 story home, usually when it is cold and damp.The smell comes up through the heating vents. I am concerned that the odor may be harmful, especailly to our 5 month old son. How should we proceed?

Participant

: We have just noticed a strong sewer odor coming from our basement. I am convinced it is sewer gas. The problem is, it is difficult to pinpoint exactly where the smell is coming from. None of the drains smell and there does not appear to be any leaks. Is sewer gas usually this difficult to trace? It sometimes overcomes our entire 3 story home, usually when it is cold and damp.The smell comes up through the heating vents. I am concerned that the odor may be harmful, especailly to our 5 month old son. How should we proceed?sewer gas in a home can be hard to track down as it permeates through out. Try going to a drain that you least suspect as the cause and pouring some pleasent smelling thing down that drain being careful not to spill any.also have ac/heat system off. then spread out in the house and snif around. a smoke test applied by a trained person is the best way.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘Old Bulletin Board Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This